VMware Communities
salobaas
Contributor
Contributor

Solaris 11.11.11 vmware tools...

Hi,

is there already a beta of the new vmware toolbox that works with the recently released Solaris 11.11.11 ? The Solaris 11 Express tools do not work with Solaris 11.11.11.

Cheers, Fons.

0 Kudos
33 Replies
derickso
Contributor
Contributor

John can I install tools from ESXi 5.1 into a Solaris 11 VM that is running on an ESXi 5.0 host?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Generally speaking, and while not necessarily recommended, yes one can attempt to install a VMware Tools Package from a newer version VMware Program into an older version VMware Program, however even if the install is successful that doesn't mean all functionally/features will work correctly/properly.  That said, I have installed various VMware Tools Packages from new released VMware Programs into older version VMware Programs and have had mixed results where it helped with a particular issue but not necessarily all issues currently known for the older version.  So the bottom line is, backup your Virtual Machine and give it a try and as always YMMV. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
derickso
Contributor
Contributor

Ya typically I wouldn' do this, but I have a Solaris 11 VM that has zero tools support at the moment.  I'll attempt an upgrade to 5.1 when it is release but on the offchance that there are problems I'd like to know there is a fallback. PS if anyone wants to send me the tools tgz from 5.1 right now I'd love you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

derickso wrote:  but on the offchance that there are problems I'd like to know there is a fallback.

This is why you backup the Virtual Machine first! Smiley Wink

PS if anyone wants to send me the tools tgz from 5.1 right now I'd love you Smiley Happy

Users do not have the rights to redistribute the compiled VMware Tools Packages and it could be construed as a violation of the VMware Community Terms of Use to even ask that! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
roboloon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I was asking about the availability of vmware tools for solaris 11 running on ESXi 4.x.

Best regards,

mikep

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

roboloon wrote: I was asking about the availability of vmware tools for solaris 11 running on ESXi 4.x.

Have a look at: Re: Solaris 11.11.11 vmware tools...

The answer is no. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
derickso
Contributor
Contributor

Oops sorry Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
roboloon
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

0 Kudos
romanshein
Contributor
Contributor

It is just to let you know that Tools included with Workstation 9 installed fine (though without X server support).

vmxnet3 and external control over VM (restart, shut down) is working.

Update: It can also allow to control guest screen (resize guest, if resized WS window).

0 Kudos
derickso
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I installed the Tools from WS9 to my VM in ESXi 5, they installed and the guest daemon and the memory balloon driver installed, but neither the network nor filesystem drivers were even attempted to be installed.  I am assuming this is because my ESXi version doesn't support the new interfaces in tools, so I'll have to wait until Tuesday to try the new ESXi and see if it'll work there.  I assume when you say your vmxnet3 worked, you were actually running in WS9?

0 Kudos
johnsavanyo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The VMware vSphere 5.1 release is now available.

Please note that the LSI Logic SAS driver distributed inbox in Solaris 11 is defective and should not be used. As a work around, the LSI Logic (parallel) storage adapter should be used on Solaris 11 until a driver is available with a fix from the OS vendor. Unfortunaltely the LSI Logic (parallel) driver will not perform as well as the LSI Logic SAS driver (that works in Solaris 10).

0 Kudos
derickso
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John-

Just so I understand, is this a tools issue when interacting with a faulty OS driver? And is this referring to the driver for the hard disk interface?  Or am I way off base here?

0 Kudos
mrpink37
Contributor
Contributor

And adding to this: Will there be a fix somewhere down the line regarding the issues with faulty vmxnet driver? see http://communities.vmware.com/message/1996323

0 Kudos
johnsavanyo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is not a tools issue.

The VMware virtual machine emulate some physical devices, such as LSI Logic and LSI Logic SAS storage adapters. Most newer operating systems will have the device driver for one or both of these devices pre-installed (so VMware does not need to distribute this driver in VMware Tools).

0 Kudos