VMware Communities
slewsys
Contributor
Contributor

Solaris 10 VMware Tools and Solaris Express Developer Edition, 2/07 ?

Any known issues with VMware Tools for Solaris 10 64-bit and Solaris Express 2/07 (aka OpenSolaris), Developer Edition? Sun OS version number has been bumped to 5.11, I believe. Otherwise, I'll report back with my experience. Thank you.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
slewsys
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, hats off to VMware. You guys are doing an terrific job at all levels. Solaris 10 11/06 and Solaris Express 2/07 both work fine with Fusion's VMware Tools for Solaris. Sun owes you a lot for making their system accessible.

The only immediate annoyance is that the Solaris login screen is huge. Within Gnome, after logging in, right-click on the background to change the resolution. It may be necessary to set the resolution more than once to adjust the frame. Not sure how to correct the login screen resolution, though.

Another problem that I encountered in Solaris 10 11/06 is that the CDROM device disappeared. This seems to have been fixed in Solaris Express 2/07.

Some tips for the uninitiated (including me, so take with a grain of salt)

1) Solaris FAQ: <http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/OpenSolaris_FAQ>

2) Both Solaris 10 and Solaris Express want to run on a 64-bit virtual machine, if available. On my iMac Core 2 Duo, running on the 64-bit VM is an order of magnitude faster than on the 32-bit VM. If you already installed with a 32-bit VM, try adding a field: GuestOS = "Solaris 10-64" to the text file ~/vmware/Solaris N/Solaris N.vmx, where N is either 10 or Express. Use a standard text editor, not TextEdit.app for this.

3) If installing Solaris Express, allocate at least 5GB free space to the partition that contains the /opt filesystem. This is where optional packages get installed.

4) Unless you intend to use Trusted Extensions (a security framework), don't bother with CDE, use Gnome (aka Java Desktop) instead.

5) If you intend to compile software, set up your PATH. Solaris comes with multiple subsystems. The default one is not POSIX-compliant. The POSIX path may be set with the shell command:

PATH=`getconf PATH`

export PATH

However, even this is inadequate if you hope to build and install GNU software, for example. My PATH is presently set to (get ready):

/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/opt/csw/bin:/opt/csw/sbin:\

/usr/xpg4/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr//bin:/usr/SUNWspro/bin:\

/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:\

/usr/X11/bin:/usr/java/bin:/usr/ucb:\

/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/root/bin

6) Visit the open source site <http://www.bastwave.org/> for binary packages. For instance, you'll probably want gcc4, since Solaris Express only ships with gcc3. pkg-get works great.

Hope that helps! And many thanks to the VMware folks for all their great efforts!

0 Kudos
slewsys
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention: VMware Tools for Solaris need to be installed manually. The VMware menu Virtual Machine => Install VMware Tools does not seem to work for Solaris (or maybe I didn't give it enough time?) In any case, here is how I install them manually.

1) With Solaris booted, select the VMware menu item Virtual Machine => CD-ROM => Browse for ISO image ...

2) Open the file /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/solaris.iso

3) VMware Tools should now appear on the Solaris desktop.

3) In the Solaris VM, open a terminal and run the commands:

$ cd /tmp

$ gzip -cd /cdrom/vmwaretools/vmware-solaris-tools.tar.gz | tar xf -

$ cd vmware-tools-distrib

$ su

1. ./vmware-install.pl

4) Logout and login again. That's it.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure how to correct the login screen resolution, though.

You could definitely fix it by specifying svga.maxWidth and svga.maxHeight in the .vmx to be something reasonable, such as 1024 and 768. I'm not familiar with Solaris (and will try this tomorrow), but on Linux you could also fix this by rerunning `vmware-config-tools.pl` and picking a lower max resolution. Finally, there's almost certainly some config file somewhere in Solaris that controls this - try searching Solaris-centric sites.

try adding a field: GuestOS = "Solaris 10-64"

You probably want to edit the existing guestOS field, not duplicate it.

Use a standard text editor, not TextEdit.app for this.

But TextEdit is the standard OS X editor Smiley Happy This was annoying me too and I spent some time today tracking it down - seems to be a copy/paste bug between some applications (in my tests, when the source was Firefox I sometimes saw the bug, but never with Safari) under certain conditions (only from certain sources, and only when pasting into a nonempty file).

VMware Tools for Solaris need to be installed manually

I think that's true for all non-Windows guests - Windows automatically installs because of autorun (which is arguably bad from a security standpoint).

0 Kudos
IscariotJ
Contributor
Contributor

One thing I have noticed with Solaris 10 11/06, Solaris Express B54, and the new Develoer Edition, is that when I halt the VM, it doesn't shut down cleanly. The VM becomes unresponsive. I don't recall it happening with 5.10 6/06, or the previous Nevada build.

Issuing shutdown -g 0 -i 0 -y appears to work, oddly.

Running on a 2Gz ( CoreDuo ) MacBook, 2GB RAM - 768 allocated to the VM.

With regards to the screen issue. I have had more luck getting a normal size login screen by disabling the cde-login service, and enabling gdm-login ( this service name varies according to the version ). And removing all the un-necessary screen resolutions from xorg.conf worked wonders, too.

0 Kudos
IscariotJ
Contributor
Contributor

One thing I did note, once I'd issued the halt and the VM had hung, I looked in the VM's directory, and noticed several files had .writelock appended to them. Could it be one of the files the VM requires has been write locked?

Is it worth raising a bug report for this, as I can reliable reproduce it?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>Could it be one of the files the VM requires has been write locked?

>Is it worth raising a bug report for this, as I can reliable reproduce it?

Although not documented, this is normal behavior. The writelock is present when a VM is powered on, or in the case of the crash lingers so the next start of the VM can warn you of an improper or unexpected crash.

You should see the writelocks (.vmem.writelock, .vmdk.writelock) while the VM is running.

When your shutdown hangs your console screen is dark but the "power" button in the toolbar is still showing an active "Power Off" button (with a black stop square) instead of the disabled power button (with a red stop square)?

At this point, it's worth looking at the last few lines in the VM's vmware.log for activity or messages.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

IIRC, the .writelock on the vmx doesn't go away (even if you've shut the VM down) until you close the VM window. As Richard said, .writelocks on the other files are normal while the VM is running (and get leftover if it crashes).

11/06 shuts down properly for me: I go through the menu, select log out, then shutdown. I haven't tried the others.

Also, the shutdown behavior changed from the private beta - it used to be that the window disappeared when the VM finished shutting down, but now it stays open on a black screen. This is intended behavior so that you can edit the settings, and the developers are aware that leaving the back screen up is confusing.

If this is not what you're seeing (I just noticed your post over in the Workstation beta forums), it does sound bug-worthy. However, given that there's supposed to be a new beta "soon", you might want to wait on filing it. Also, as Richard said, check the logs for anything odd.

Edited to add note about private beta shutdown behavior. --etung 2007.03.01 08:21

0 Kudos
IscariotJ
Contributor
Contributor

When I issue halt, the VM freezes complete. I am unable to move the mouse, or anything. If I leave it in that state, after about 15 minutes the fans kick in ( I'm on a CoreDuo MacBook ). It never gets to the "Press any key to reboot" point. I have hit Apple-K, or Apple-Q

I'm beginning to wonder if it's something to do with the 32bit install of Solaris, as a colleague of mine has a Core2Duo based MBP with 64bit installs of Solaris and DE, and doesn't experience this problem.

I am also running WS6, and experience the same problem.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I am unable to move the mouse, or anything

Try ungrabbing?

wonder if it's something to do with the 32bit install of Solaris

That might be it, I was using the 64-bit version (in my comment below)

I am also running WS6, and experience the same problem.

This makes it likely the problem is either in Solaris or in the shared code base.

0 Kudos
IscariotJ
Contributor
Contributor

I am unable to move the mouse, or anything

Try ungrabbing?

Sorry, yes, I meant the mouse in the VM is unresponsive. Fusion hasn't hung, as I am unable to release control, and shutdown the VM with Apple-K.

I've just tried it again. If I leave it in it's hung state, vmware.log keeps cycling:

Mar 01 13:35:41.424: vmx| LOADAVG: 1.96 1.52 1.34

Mar 01 13:36:11.435: vmx| LOADAVG: 2.11 1.59 1.37

Mar 01 13:36:41.435: vmx| LOADAVG: 2.17 1.66 1.40

Mar 01 13:37:11.435: vmx| LOADAVG: 2.47 1.79 1.46

Mar 01 13:37:41.435: vmx| LOADAVG: 2.28 1.81 1.47

Mar 01 13:38:11.435: vmx| LOADAVG: 2.38 1.87 1.51

Mar 01 13:38:15.239: vmx| VMMEM 0 1 101272 278350 278350 499712 -1 50

Mar 01 13:38:15.239: vmx| VMMEM checked 30732 bad 0 badKey 0 badMPN 0 badCOW 0

Mar 01 13:38:15.239: vmx| COWStats: numHints 9242 unique 59 shared 840 totalUnique 6128 totalBreaks 32626

Mar 01 13:38:15.239: vmx| COWStats Hot Page: hash 0x1f5a0ceed69e8e4c count 11

Mar 01 13:38:15.239: vmx| COWStats Hot Page: hash 0xf32d05ab78f32af0 count 12

Mar 01 13:38:15.239: vmx| COWStats Hot Page: hash 0xccea40688e6e5363 count 34

Mar 01 13:38:15.239: vmx| COWStats Hot Page: hash 0x55d86b3f649bb720 count 40

Mar 01 13:38:15.239: vmx| COWStats Hot Page: hash 0x2bd8e6157e6af6d6 count 598

Mar 01 13:38:15.239: vmx| VMMEM VM 0 min 112186 max 214809 share 196608 paged 205245 nonpaged 9564 locked 101213 cowed 840 usedPct 1

vmware-vmfusion.log contains:

Mar 01 13:26:06.836: vmfusion| SMBIOS: can't open /dev/mem

Mar 01 13:26:06.836: vmfusion| VmhsHostInfoPopulateSystem: Could not get information from smbios to populate VMDB.

Mar 01 13:26:06.836: vmfusion| HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 2 numThreadsPerCore 1.

Mar 01 13:26:06.836: vmfusion| HOSTINFO: This machine has 1 physical CPUS, 2 total cores, and 2 logical CPUs.

Mar 01 13:26:08.033: vmfusion| Foundry Init: setting up global state (0 threads)

Mar 01 13:26:08.051: vmfusion| Foundry Init: version 2, hostType 1, hostName (null), hostPort 0, options 0x3

Mar 01 13:26:08.568: | Reloading config state: /Users/john/Documents/VirtualMachines/SolarisExpress/SolarisExpress.vmx

Mar 01 13:26:08.786: vmfusion| readlink /var/run/vmware/95e6f2577c9273ec19c638f1780f247e: No such file or directory

Mar 01 13:26:08.786: vmfusion| readlink /var/run/vmware/%2fUsers%2fjohn%2fDocuments%2fVirtualMachines%2fSolarisExpress%2fSolarisExpr

ess%2evmx: No such file or directory

Mar 01 13:26:09.950: vmfusion| VMHSVMCbPower: Setting state of VM /vm/#a90002b62e0afa28/ to powerOn with option soft

Mar 01 13:26:09.950: vmfusion| VMHS: Exec()'ing /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmx-debug, /Users/john/Documents/V

irtualMachines/SolarisExpress/SolarisExpress.vmx

Mar 01 13:26:10.521: vmfusion| Mounting virtual machine paths on connection: /db/connection/#5d/, /Users/john/Documents/VirtualMachi

nes/SolarisExpress/SolarisExpress.vmx

Mar 01 13:26:10.899: vmfusion| Mount VM completion for vm: /Users/john/Documents/VirtualMachines/SolarisExpress/SolarisExpress.vmx

Mar 01 13:26:10.901: vmfusion| Mount VM Complete: /Users/john/Documents/VirtualMachines/SolarisExpress/SolarisExpress.vmx, Return co

de: OK

Mar 01 13:26:10.901: vmfusion| CryptoKey_Import: not in export format

Mar 01 13:26:11.267: vmfusion| Disconnect check in progress: /Users/john/Documents/VirtualMachines/SolarisExpress/SolarisExpress.vmx

Mar 01 13:26:17.180: vmfusion| VMX status has been set for vm: /Users/john/Documents/VirtualMachines/SolarisExpress/SolarisExpress.v

mx

Mar 01 13:26:17.180: vmfusion| Disconnect check in progress: /Users/john/Documents/VirtualMachines/SolarisExpress/SolarisExpress.vmx

Mar 01 13:26:17.180: vmfusion| Disconnect check in progress: /Users/john/Documents/VirtualMachines/SolarisExpress/SolarisExpress.vmx

If there's an updated beta due soon, I'll hang on before I log anything.

0 Kudos
IscariotJ
Contributor
Contributor

The problem still exists with the new version. I'll raise a support call for it.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Thanks for the report. If it's reproducible (and it sounds like it is), it's likely an issue in VMware Workstation 6 as well.

0 Kudos
IscariotJ
Contributor
Contributor

I've just tried to log a support call for this, but have had the call closed ( SR# 375628 ) as I was told to download beta2, and then raise another call against that if the issue persists ( despite saying in the call that the problem existed in both betas ).

I've since tried logging another call, but the web page hasn't been updated to allow bugs against beta 2. Not very useful.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

hi lscariotJ sorry for the inconvenience hopefully we will have this updated later in the day

0 Kudos
IscariotJ
Contributor
Contributor

Not a problem, thanks for the update, appreciated.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As another datapoint, with build 41385 and 11/06, shutting down works (via Launch > Log Out > Shutdown) and `halt` does get to the "Press any key to reboot" message (although a CPU is maxed out - known issue, see http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6414994) in 32-bit mode on my Mac Pro and MacBook.

Perhaps you could try your VM on your colleague's machine and vice versa?

0 Kudos
slewsys
Contributor
Contributor

Selecting a lower screen resolution via vmware-config-tools.pl in Fusion Beta 2 does correctly lower the login screen resolution, which is evidently set to the max Modeline entry in by /etc/X11/xorg.conf that your video card can handle. VMware Tools in Fusion Beta 2 corrects the problem by removing the extra Modelines.

When first installing a non-Microsoft VM, there is reminder to install VMware Tools. A similar reminder might be warranted when upgrading Solaris, et al. I see also that the VMware Fusion Help "Installing and Upgrading" section does not mention upgrading VMware Tools either.

Any possibility of getting a console (in single-user mode) larger than 80x25? A command such as `stty rows 40' does not have any effect in any Unix OS under VMware. Changing svga.maxXXX does not help either.

To use Gnome's display manager, gdm, instead of CDE's (which I don't advise), use svcadm:

1. svcadm disable cde-login

when you hit , you may get dumped to a console login. Login again and then:

1. svcadm enable gdm

To see other available services, use:

1. svcs -a

0 Kudos
IscariotJ
Contributor
Contributor

I'll have a go at running my VM on my colleague's MBP. Won't work the other way, though, as his is configured to be 64bit ( I'm currently running on a CoreDuo MacBook ).

I've a feeling that it's related to 32bit environments, as I have the same issue with a 5.10 U3 VM running on WS6/XP.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"the web page hasn't been updated to allow bugs against beta 2."

We are fixing it. In the meantime, you can still file your bug, just make sure that you specify in the text that it is for Beta 2.

0 Kudos