VMware Communities
otron
Contributor
Contributor

Snow Leopard Guest on 10.8.1

According to the product page and the supported guest OS db search, OS X 10.6 (NONserver) IS supported, however, 10.8.1 (I just downloaded the trial) refuses to install from a non-server OS X 10.6.3 install dvd (the published, i.e. not bundled with a particular hw model version).

During machine creation, only OS X 10.6 Server is an offered option (no non-server); that refuses the non-server Snow Leopard install dvd.  I also tried creating a 10.7 machine; it still refused the 10.6 install dvd, complaining it was a non-server.  Also, creating a "Other 64-bit" machine, setting the dvd to SATA still resulted in not even seeing the install dvd.

(Other info: everything is 64-bit, host OS is El Capitan, hardware is MacBook 6,2 ...the one that won't boot the published, i.e. not bundled Snow Leopard install dvd; I installed the non-Pro trial, since that's what I'd prefer to purchase if it works....)

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.....

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news: Only the "Server" variants of Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 are supported.  The information is in the VMware Compatibility Guide, although it isn't exactly obvious... In the OS Release column of the results list, click on the Mac OS X 10.6.x link and it'll take you to the details page which should say "Supported Variants: Server".  The Client version is not listed and not supported.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
otron
Contributor
Contributor

Note that the product page

Mac Virtualization for Everyone: VMware Fusion

Lists both:

"

Guest Operating Systems

More than 200 operating systems are supported, including:

[...]

• Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server

"

So if that's in error, it's a prominently displayed one, though you're right, I missed the "Variants" entry....

From other searches, I understand this to be a holdover from Apple's earlier licensing policy forbidding virtual copies.  My particular case (actually my girlfriend's...it's her machine) is that Apple itself can't come up with a published version or a copy of the bundled install disk for Macbook 6,2 which has hardware issues only resolved in 10.6.8 (which is not a published install dvd release, but an update to the published 10.6.3.)  Hours have been sent with Applecare...they actually tried but they couldn't come up with anything.  In other words, even though the hardware shipped with OS X 10.6, Apple is unable to provide a 10.6 install dvd that will install to it.  The use case is one copy, since the host will not run this and the point is only to run some legacy PPC apps on the most recent OS that will run them...i.e. one copy on one machine, in full compliance with Apple's older restrictive licensing terms.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yep, that page is wrong.  I would guess it is supposed to say "Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Server" there (which is currently missing from the list).  Thanks for letting us know... I've put in a request to have it corrected.

Are you saying that the original disc for your MacBook6,2 (did you mean MacBookPro6,2?) doesn't install on the physical system, or doesn't install in a VM on that physical system?  The model-specific discs might work inside a VM, but quite often they will not (due to the hardware-specific nature of the disc).  It'd be truly weird if the disc that came with the Mac wasn't able to install directly onto the Mac.

Unfortunately, to run PPC apps in a VM while complying with the Apple Software License, you'll need to acquire Mac OS X 10.6 Server.  Apple used to have 10.6 Server available quite cheap ($20 or $30 or so?) to customers in the US and a few other countries, but it was only available by telephone order, not online (seriously!) and you had to be very careful and clear about getting the Server flavor of the OS.  I haven't heard about this offer in many months now, so I have no idea if it is still available.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
mackec1
Contributor
Contributor

Why does this continue to be a problem with VMWare Fusion? In fact, Apple has made 10.6 and 10.7 (non-server) downloads available to members of ADC and yet we STILL CAN'T RUN THEM IN FUSION....looks like it's time to move to Parallels....so long VMWare.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

Why does this continue to be a problem with VMWare Fusion? In fact, Apple has made 10.6 and 10.7 (non-server) downloads available to members of ADC and yet we STILL CAN'T RUN THEM IN FUSION....looks like it's time to move to Parallels....so long VMWare.

VMware Fusion and Parallels work exactly the same. It won't help you to switch from VMware to Parallels. You mentioned "10.6 and 10.7". I assume that you really meant "10.5 and 10.6".

Neither VMware nor Parallels will run the non-server versions of Mac OS X versions 10.5 and 10.6. Don't blame VMware or Parallels, it is Apple that is responsible for that policy. Both VMware and Parallels will run the server versions of 10.5 and 10.6.

You can run both the non-server and server versions of OS X 10.7 and above using either VMware or Parallels.

0 Kudos