VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Snapshot vs system restore and clone image

Is VMWare snapshot the same as taking a system restore or complete full clone of a VM ?

eg.. it looks like system restore preserves documents and photos, and because of that i'm guessing VMWare snapshots are better.

Can anyone confirm ?

Ideally, i wish roll back to Windows server 20003 without domain or anything... Basical take a snapshot of a fresh install , and do what i want, and then roll back to this snapshot after. WOld this be the same as a full clone?

If so, i'll start using snapshots from now on, as i think their smaller in size compared to a full clone?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

When you take a VM snapshot, the virtual disk file (VMDK) is set as read-only and a delta file is created - writes are then made only to the delta file.

So yes, much smaller than a clone as that would be a full copy of the VMDK file.

However, if you look through this forum area, the Workstation area, or the vSphere area you will see many who have problems with VM snapshots.

Why? From the moment you took the snapshot you were dependent on 2 files working perfectly in order for your virtual disk to be intact and functional - and the more snapshots you have the more files you are dependent on.

One other thing to understand, over time your delta VMDK file is going to grow, depending on the blocks of the virtual disk written to by the guest OS - running short on host disk space leaves users coming here often.

I would never want to leave a snapshot on a VM for any length of time - to experienced VM users they are a short-term thing, used during backup processes, and OS and application patching or upgrades.

If your use case is short term, it can be a useful function - but be warned...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

When you take a VM snapshot, the virtual disk file (VMDK) is set as read-only and a delta file is created - writes are then made only to the delta file.

So yes, much smaller than a clone as that would be a full copy of the VMDK file.

However, if you look through this forum area, the Workstation area, or the vSphere area you will see many who have problems with VM snapshots.

Why? From the moment you took the snapshot you were dependent on 2 files working perfectly in order for your virtual disk to be intact and functional - and the more snapshots you have the more files you are dependent on.

One other thing to understand, over time your delta VMDK file is going to grow, depending on the blocks of the virtual disk written to by the guest OS - running short on host disk space leaves users coming here often.

I would never want to leave a snapshot on a VM for any length of time - to experienced VM users they are a short-term thing, used during backup processes, and OS and application patching or upgrades.

If your use case is short term, it can be a useful function - but be warned...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, yes, its only gonna a temporary snapshot.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

One other hint - snapshots taken while the VM is shut down (not suspended) tend to be more reliable than those taken when it's running.

0 Kudos