VMware Communities
rx-sp
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshot disappeared?

For some reason the snapshot of an OS image I use all the time has disappeared. I don't know why and I'm very annoyed. The option is just grayed out on Fusion's menu as if I'd never taken one. In reality I've been taking new snapshots and reverting for quite a while now.

Does anybody know where it's gone to? I use Fusion for my work and this is a very serious setback.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What is happening while starting Virtual Machine, is it asking for snapshot file?

Upload log, vmx files and screen shot of error message.

Regards,

Silica V.

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
0 Kudos
rx-sp
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not prepared to upload anything, to be honest. I consider blanket uploading of logs and all configuration files to be an invasion of privacy.

The snapshot files have disappeared from the Vm package file. I think they're gone forever. I have no idea why. It just happened.

I'm very annoyed but I've got to say this isn't the first time I've been annoyed with bugs in VMware. Nowadays I'm just exasperated.

VMWare people who are reading this: You really, really, really, really have to bug test more before releasing a product. This just isn't good enough. This is the kind of buginess I expect from a crappy open source application, not a piece of commercial software released by a major corporation.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not prepared to upload anything, to be honest. I consider blanket uploading of logs and all configuration files to be an invasion of privacy.

If you are not prepared to provide the information requested which is how the process works here then your just wasting everyones time! You should probably then keep a current known good working copy of your Virtual Machines so you can provide for self recovery and don't forget to make proper off system backups of your data regularly then you should have nothing to worry about!

You can also purchase support directly from VMware and upload the logs directly to them if you feel that is more acceptable and if not then you're on your own!

0 Kudos
rx-sp
Contributor
Contributor

If you are not prepared to provide the information requested which is how the process works here then your just wasting everyones time!

Now you put it that way it makes me realize how crazy I am. I bought a commercial product released by a major corporation and expected it not to lose vital data. What was I thinking?

You can also purchase support directly from VMware and upload the logs directly to them if you feel that is more acceptable and if not then you're on your own!

Again, I see how crazy I am. I should have purchased support as insurance against serious bugs in a product I bought. Next time I buy a car I'm going to ask if I can buy insurance from Ford against the wheels falling off. I see how this works now.

I notice that this isn't a support forum. This is a place where people come to complain about the bugs they've encountered with VMWare Fusion. This says an awful lot about VMWare Fusion.

0 Kudos
maddymac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might have accidentally discarded the Snapshot....

0 Kudos
rx-sp
Contributor
Contributor

I did consider that. But then I realized that in 18 years of using GUI computers (starting with an Atari ST back in 1990!) I've never, ever miss-clicked a menu option. I've miss-clicked icons many times. But never a menu option. Besides which, there's a very clear warning dialog that appears before the snapshot is deleted. I'd have to "miss-click" that too.

If anybody is interested the image became a little flaky before the snapshot was lost. When I reverted to the snapshot, the virtual machine would be unusable for about 30 seconds. It would take my mouse input but not let me click on anything. I put this down to a glitch with the installed OS. Maybe not.

I did have a backup of the image but it was old. I create a new snapshot very frequently -- maybe once a day. It really was a process of incremental improvements. To back it up each time would mean spending 10 minutes with the disk grinding away as an 8GB file is copied sideways.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I did consider that. But then I realized that in 18 years of using GUI computers (starting with an Atari ST back in 1990!) I've never, ever miss-clicked a menu option.

BS

If anybody is interested the image became a little flaky before the snapshot was lost. When I reverted to the snapshot..

You obviously do not understand how Snapshots work! When you "Revet to Snapshot" It discards all changes made including data so you have been deleting you own data not some bug in Fusion!

0 Kudos
rx-sp
Contributor
Contributor

The option to revert disappeared from the "Virtual Machine" menu. I looked into the VM package and found that the snapshot files, present in my backup, had vanished.

I've been using VMWare products of one sort or another since probably the early 2000s. I can't remember exactly when but I started using the Workstation product when that was all VMWare produced.

So I also know what snapshots are. And I know how to use VMWare Fusion. And I know that I lost valuable data due to a bug that shouldn't have been there.

I mention this not in the interests of pathetic flamewaring but to hopefully get the VMWare staff to do better bug testing. I'm not a programmer myself but I've noticed that programmers have a tendency to write-off bug reports by explaining it away as user-error. No user-error here, I'm afraid.

0 Kudos