VMware Communities
Jim_Hammond
Contributor
Contributor

Snap Shots

Hi Folks,

I usually take a snapshot each day as a means of backup. Lately the "deleting files portion is taking longer and longer. Today it took almost 5 minutes to complete. Isn't this quite long?

Jim

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BP9906
Expert
Expert

Are you saying that you discard and re-make a snapshot each day?

Have you tried discarding the snapshot, doing a defrag (vmwarev-diskmanager -d) and then remake the snapshot to see if the following day its faster?

Just curious if that would work since my impression is that snapshots only add to the VMDK being defragmented.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at the following post:

Why does discarding a snapshot take so long? http://communities.vmware.com/message/785918

0 Kudos
Jim_Hammond
Contributor
Contributor

Woody,

Thanks, I had not seen that post. So if I understand correctly, then each time I add to my orginal vmdk, by adding programs or files to my VM, then its going to take longer to discard or delete, is that right?

Jim

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, that's correct.

0 Kudos
Jim_Hammond
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks. So to understand further if I discard my snapshot before I make a new one that is not the correct way to do it, right? I should just make the snapshot by creating and letting the delete process go forward.

Jim

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm, I'm not sure. Once you discard a snapshot and take a new one, your delta disk starts small again. Unless you've been writing successively more data each time before discarding the snapshot, I would not expect the required time to grow. Perhaps your disk is becoming fragmented?

0 Kudos
Jim_Hammond
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, can you tell what commands do I use to defragment the disk and which file is my disk. Sorry for the basic question, but I'm new to this sort of thing. I can try that and see what happens then.

Jim

0 Kudos
Jim_Hammond
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone give me an answer to my last post please.

Jim

0 Kudos