VMware Communities
PaulT2018
Contributor
Contributor

Smartcard Readers with Fusion 10.1.1

Since upgrading to Fusion 10.1.1, my Windows 7 VM on Mac OSX High Sierra 10.13.3 can no longer read my PIV card with multiple brands of smart card readers.  If I revert to Fusion 10.0.1, two readers show (passthru and shared), and it starts working again.  On my Win VM I select the passthru smart card reader, not the "Shared" reader.  The shared driver cannot read the smartcard on either version.  With 10.1.1, the passthru reader does not even show as a choice on the menu, only the Shared version.  Anyone have an idea as to how to fix this on Fusion 10.1.1?  Thanks.

Paul

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You could try turning off the sharing of the smart card reader by adding the following lines to the vmx configuration file of the VM.

usb.generic.allowCCID = "TRUE"

usb.ccid.disable = "TRUE"

This works for Fusion 8.5.x but I don't know if it still holds true for Fusion 10.1.1 but it is worth a try. The default behaviour of sharing smart card readers has been around for a while. In some cases, if the sharing is enabled, certain brands/models of smart card readers don't even appear at all the USB connect menu; not even the shared option.

0 Kudos
PaulT2018
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the idea.  I tried those commands together and separate with no luck.  However, now I can at least start looking at other config file options.  The reason I have to use the passthru and not the shared is that the Shared reader results in a "Certificate cannot be found" error when reading the PIV card.

0 Kudos