VMware Communities
tparker
Contributor
Contributor

Sluggish / Unity Quits / Need to restart often

I use Parallels on my laptop, and Fusion on my Desktop.

The short conclusion is that the former works very fluidly, whereas the latter is sluggish. I'm wondering if this is normal? I don't want to start a Parallels vs. Fusion debate, but then based on my experiences i'm wondering if perhaps it's just me? I don't see many others complaining about Fusion.

Laptop (Parallels)

MacBook Air (Early 2015)

2.2 GHz i7

8gb RAM (2048 allocated to Windows 7)

SSD

Fusion (Fusion)

iMac (Late 2015)

3.1 GHz i5

16gb RAM (3072 allocated to Windows 10)

Fusion Drive

Basically, after a while working with Windows under Fusion it becomes sluggish: delays when switching between windows; sometimes they blank out and I need to wait a few seconds (or up to a minute) to become usable again ; eventually - after a day or two without restarting - the delays pile up and Unity quits... i'm forced back into a single window. I still have annoying cases where open windows overlap each other or don't properly get foreground focus. Every two days I need to shut down Windows and completely shut down Fusion, as if there's stale memory I need to recover.

Is this normal behaviour?

I've tried allocating more memory to the VM (6144mb even) to no avail. These problems occurred before upgrading to the latest VMWare,  before upgrading to Windows 10, and before upgrading to Mojave. Therefore doesn't seem to be a Windows 10 vs Windows 7 issue, and meanwhile I feel like i've wasted my money upgrading VMWare to the latest version for no reason at all.

Anything I can try?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

How many cores are you allocating to the VM?  And if you run in windowed mode instead of unity do you get the same behavior?

0 Kudos
tparker
Contributor
Contributor

Two cores allocated to my Fusion VM (same as i've allocated to my Parallels VM).

When i'm momentarily kicked out of Unity it's just as sluggish. Full screen is a bit better, if only because I don't have windows focus issues, but the overall package still appears so damn resource hungry....

0 Kudos
tparker
Contributor
Contributor

So this is still a problem... and it's just happened again.

Log file is attached if it's of any use.

(Again - kicked out of Unity, everything pauses for a while, then just need to wait till Windows back to life again.... usually in a window, though occasionally back into Unity again automatically).

Overtime it does get more and more sluggish....

0 Kudos
ntcwecan
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem on with MacBook Pro 2013 , 16GB Ram

0 Kudos