VMware Communities
IvarREW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Slow/nonexistent sync for shared folders in VMWare Fusion 6.0.2

I've got a mac host and a Ubuntu linux guest. I recently upgraded from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2.

The guest has the latest vmware tools installed (ie: from Fusion 6.0.2).

I'm now having issues where changes to files made on the host are not being seen by the guest os.

Note: The host shared folder is being mounted - I can still navigate the directories from both systems.. it's just that file changes on the host are not reflected inside the guest.

This is highly problematic as my development environment is on OSX but my server environment is on the linux guest. Without a functioning file sharing system I can't work, so any suggestions appreciated.

55 Replies
shaven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there any more info on when this is going to be released? I run my local dev environments off of fusion and whenever I save a file to the shared drive it still truncates with 6.0.1. If I add a new line and keep doing it I can eventually get it to work, but it is getting really old having to save a file 5 times before it is seen correctly on the vm. If there is a way you guys know to get around this aside from editing it directly on the vm it would be appreciated.

nosajis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

+1 it would be great to get an update.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have this issue fixed in house but am waiting on getting it into the next tools releases.

It is VMware policy that I am not allowed to state when that will be.

I hope it is not too long.

I will update here again when I know for sure which release it will be included in but even then all I will be able to say is watch out and update your tools when you see it.

When it does become public I will also update to say that you should be able to download and install.

Thanks so much for your patience with this frustrating issue.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
nosajis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Steve, we very much appreciate the update.  I am just excited to see something about it being fixed!  We'll stay tuned.

0 Kudos
dogatonic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shaven-

You might think you have 6.0.1, when in reality you have 6.0.2. Unless you make a change in your .vmx settings, installing 6.0.1 will actually install the buggy 6.0.2

Run this from your command line:

vmware-toolbox-cmd -v

You should see build-1294478 in the output; if you see build-1378637 then you have the 6.0.2 tools installed.

To fix this problem, you will need to change your .vmx settings and then reinstall 6.0.1

Read Steve's post here.

After I did that, the truncating problem stopped.

-Tucker

0 Kudos
shaven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You sir are a genius! I had done the 6.0.1 revert from one of the posts in that thread, but didn't see the one in Steve's post about the vmx mod. One of them was incorrect, but the other had stayed correct because I had replaced the iso file in the fusion app itself at one point. So when it went to update it used the 6.0.1 tools anyway. So based on the fact that it should now not update on it's own and I reverted the one I should be good. Thank you Steve and Tucker!!

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks Tucker for the repeat of that issue.

The tools automatically update to the newest version unless explicitly disabled for that case.

Recheck as Tucker stated, edit vmx file settings as per above and then do the downgrade of tools to 6.0.1.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This issue is now fixed and will be released in the next VMware tools release which will not be too long.

Note, I am not allowed to say when this is exactly as it is VMware policy as schedule changes often occur and so exact dates often change. Also I am not included or a party to those discussions.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
dogweather
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Was the fix included in the 6.0.3 release? The release notes don't mention it: VMware Fusion 6.0.3 and VMware Fusion 6.0.3 Professional Release Notes

0 Kudos
shaven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As best as I can tell the fix is in. I am not seeing truncated files now that I have updated to 6.0.3 vmware tools in my vm.

steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes the fixes are in the 6.0.3 release.

I think the release notes for this issue only got mentioned in  the Workstation release not the Fusion release for some reason.

Thanks for the updates about the testing you have done.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
IvarREW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Steve - could you please specify the vmware tools version number where the issue is fixed?

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So Fusion 6.0.3 has the issue fixed and that is in VMware tools version 9.6.2 build number 1688356.

Is that what you are looking for?

Thanks

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
micD1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Steve, I am experiencing hgfs corrupting files again in Workstation 11.0.0 build-2305329. I also found a weird workaround that works for me (through some very strange side effects). Maybe you can look at details I posted: Corrupted files in HGFS Shared Folders under Linux and suggest something.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
KurtTappe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Several people state this problem was fixed in v6.0.3 but I'm still having it in v6.0.5. Files copied to the shared folder on the host are not reflected in the guest OS until you reboot it. This is really a pain; having to reboot the guest every time you try to copy a new file to it.  I'm running OS X 10.9.5 on both host and guest. Can anyone suggest a fix? Is there really no way to force Fusion to refresh the file list it is presenting to the guest??

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Most of the issues described here are to do with Linux guests not OS X.

Are you expecting the Finder in the guest OS to automatically update its window showing a shared folder location which is updated on the host side by copying files into it?

If so, that is a Finder caching issue not so much our Shared Folder file system, but it relies on a file system events feature that is currently only supported in Windows guests it has not been implemented in OS X or Linux clients for those guests.

Just in case that something else is going on:

If do you an "ls" on that shared folder from a terminal shell do you see the new files in that folder?

Is it only Finder that is not refreshed? Or other applications too?

Thanks for reporting this.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos