VMware Communities
PercyAngles
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Slow file copy between VM and host - Fusion 13 and Mac M1

Delighted to have Fusion 13 supported on M1 Macs.

I have encountered very slow file copy between VM and host using "Sharing Settings" to present a host folder to the VM.  

I have tried this with Ubuntu 22.10 and Ubuntu 22.04 (both ARM), and am only seeing around 3.5MB/sec copy speeds.

On my Intel MacBook Pro (2016) running Fusion 12, I see copy speeds in excess of 140MB/sec.

I realise it is early days...Is this a known issue or is there something I could try to improve these speeds?

Many thanks, Percy

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I remember correctly, VMware stated in the tech preview that shared folders might be a bit sluggish on Apple Silicon as the "high bandwidth" communications channel was not optimized for arm64. I'm suspecting that this didn't get addressed for Fusion 13.

What happens if you try Windows file share configured on the Mac and see if the situation improves.

The other idea is to use something like an sftp client...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I remember correctly, VMware stated in the tech preview that shared folders might be a bit sluggish on Apple Silicon as the "high bandwidth" communications channel was not optimized for arm64. I'm suspecting that this didn't get addressed for Fusion 13.

What happens if you try Windows file share configured on the Mac and see if the situation improves.

The other idea is to use something like an sftp client...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
PercyAngles
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info.  I'll give that a go!

cheers

0 Kudos
PercyAngles
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows share copying 100MB/sec. That's good enough.

Many thanks, Percy

0 Kudos