VMware Communities
jarrem
Contributor
Contributor

Slow Graphic Performance in El Capitan Guest - VMWare Fusion 8.0.1

I am experiencing very sluggish graphic performance in my El Capitan guest. I am running the guest on El Capitan as well. I have included a video below which shows the sluggish performance. I have my graphics set 512mb and 3d acceleration is on as well with debugging set to none. I'm not really sure what else to try.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1837891/Slow.mov

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi jarrem,

Welcome to Fusion community.

About the Graphic Performance in EI Capitan Guest issue, Could you please to share some information about your environment?

e.g. 1.  What is the Graphic mode and version?

2.  What is the host system? 10.10? 10.9?

3.  Could you please try to set the Graphics memory to 1024MB(default value)?

note: Be sure the vmtool is updated to latest version.

It will help us to narrow the issue and try to triage this issue. Thanks for your help and use the Fusion again

Thanks and Regards

Roger

0 Kudos
jarrem
Contributor
Contributor

The host system is 10.11 El Capitan. The VM guest is 10.11 El Capitan.

Not really sure how to check the graphic mode and version? Do you need the guest system or the host system? The host system is a quad core MBP with 16gb RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB.

The graphics memory was set to 1024MB and the slowness is still present. The VMWare tools are also the latest version.

0 Kudos
bxlewi1
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and mine is a 2013 rMBP with the same specs. VMs in Mavericks were fast. Yosemitie and El Capitan are slow, stuttery experiences.

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi jarrem

Double check the release note in the vmware website.

When the vm guest is OSX, VMware doesn't support 3D acceleration.

So sorry about this.

Thanks and Regards

Roger

0 Kudos
jarrem
Contributor
Contributor

I just turned off the 3D Acceleration and the problem still exists. Windows and such move around without issue, but anything with an animation such as the Application drawer is incredibly choppy when opened. I am trying to use the El Capitan guest for training since I can reset the environments with snapshots, but with the current video problems that is just not possible. Is there anything else that I can try or send you about my setup? Would love to get this resolved.

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jarrem

I have try to reproduce your issue in my environment

iMac (27-inch,late 2012)

Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 32 GB

Graphics: NVDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB

HOS: OSX 10.11

GOS: OSX 10.11

Actually the video can works fine, could you share some information about your application?

Thanks and Regards

Roger

0 Kudos
nicolasgomez
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, but running windows 10. The same VM with Fusion / works perfectly, now I have a lot of graphic issues with fusion 8.

My setup: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) !

0 Kudos
itwasepic
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone solve this?  I am observing the exact same issues.  My specs are El Capitan OSX, Fusion 8 Pro, 3D Acceleration turned off, Mac Pro 6,1, 16GB RAM, 2 CPU, VMware Tools installed.

I have noticed this: 

1. The Application "expansion" of the tray is VERY CHOPPY. Very Laggy.

2. Mavericks (when doing the same expansion of the Application tray) is super quick, no lag at all.  Very similar to native OSX on my Mac.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

A similar (same?) problem was reported for Yosemite and some smart people figured out that turning off beam synchronisation improved performance.

I'm not sure if the problem still exists in El Capitan guests, I was under the impression that it did not.

However you might want to try and see if it helps.

Improving Yosemite VM performance in VMware Fusion | Der Flounder

See also:

rtrouton_scripts/rtrouton_scripts/fix_yosemite_vm_graphic_performance at master · rtrouton/rtrouton_...

edit: the referenced Insanely Mac forum thread has this note:

Known issue: Not working on El Capitan

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos