VMware Communities
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Slow 10.10 Yosemite.

Now that both  Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10) final [for guest] and VMF v7.0.1 update are out, I still see slow performance in guests. Older Mac OS X versions are fine in VMF on my Mac mini (mid-2011 with 16 GB of RAM and Mac OS X 10.9.5). Smiley Sad Is VMware not going to be able to improve the speed?

Thank you in advance. Smiley Happy

5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

OSX guests will be slower because there's no 3D acceleration.   OSX guests require 2 cores, so if you only have 2 in the machine, you'll also have issues.

0 Kudos
kawxkljatw4
Contributor
Contributor

Fair point, however OS X 10.9 guest in OS X 10.9 host using Fusion 6 was smooth, and very useable. 

OS X 10.10 guest in OS X 10.10 host using Fusion 7.0.1 is sluggish, and the latency is extremely noticeable.

While accelerated graphics isn't expected, smooth graphics are.

ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

kawxkljatw4 wrote:

Fair point, however OS X 10.9 guest in OS X 10.9 host using Fusion 6 was smooth, and very useable.

OS X 10.10 guest in OS X 10.10 host using Fusion 7.0.1 is sluggish, and the latency is extremely noticeable.

While accelerated graphics isn't expected, smooth graphics are.

10.9 and earlier guests were smooth and fast in v7 for me.

0 Kudos
kawxkljatw4
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, 10.9 guest in 10.10 host was good-to-go in Fusion 7.

One interesting thing, uninstalled VMware tools and while some things obviously went downhill (mouse for one), noticeable performance issues went away.  Case in point is login screen.  Hitting tab to move between username and password would take ~30sec.  Sans VMware tools, instantaneous.  Once logged in, mouse lag was obvious, but graphics performance was notable improved.

ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

kawxkljatw4 wrote:

Yes, 10.9 guest in 10.10 host was good-to-go in Fusion 7...

FYI, I am using 10.9.5 host. Only 10.10 guest is the slow one compared to other Mac OS X versions guests.

0 Kudos