VMware Communities
renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Size issue

This is my first post.

I'm trying to install the free version of fusion on my Mac and the problem is that the space that is requiring is 1.4 tb. It is mandatory to copy all hds virtual machine? Is to reduce this size?

Other doubt: The PC must always be connected to access the virtual machine on mac or everything is copied into the mac? I ask this because the fusion is trying to bring 1.4 tb of my PC

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone gets installed on the Windows OS Source System and is use to create a Virtual Machine of that System.  When creating the Virtual Machine, I'd suggest it be saved to an external storage device like a USB HDD vs being sent across a network connection.  Note that if your systems support USB 3.0 that is considerable faster then USB 2.0.   If the Source System has multiple Partitions/Volumes/Drives and not all are needed/wanted to be in the Virtual Machine then you can use the controls available in VMware vCenter Converter Standalone to exclude unneeded/unwanted Partitions/Volumes/Drives.  I strongly suggest that you read the documentation! Have a look at: VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.5 User's Guide

Once the Virtual Machine has been created it can be transferred to the Mac and does not need to be Imported into VMware Fusion as it's already a VMware Virtual Machine.  Also I'm not saying that you cannot transfer via a network connection, just do not recommend it unless one has absoutly no other options! Smiley Wink

The only thing you might want to do is add an .vmwarevn extension onto the Folder that contains the files that comprise the Virtual Machine as this makes it a Virtual Machine Package as the default type created by VMware Fusion.  Other VMware products like VMware Player/Workstation on Windows or Linux just use a normal Folder where OS X gives special meaning to the .vmwarevm extension treating the Folder as a Package.  To then use the Virtual Machine in VMware Fusion you can use the File > Open... command or double-click the Virtual Machine Package or if you didn't package it just double-click the .vmx configuration file.  I do however suggest you add the .vmwarevm extension turning the Folder into a Package as it has advantages over leaving it just as a Folder.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Forgot to mention once you virtualize the physical machine you need to purchase additional licenses for both the OS and installed licensed applications if you intend to continue to use both the Physical Machine and the Virtual Machine even if not at the same time!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is my first post.

Welcome to the Community. 🙂

I'm trying to install the free version of fusion on my Mac and the problem is that the space that is requiring is 1.4 tb. It is mandatory to copy all hds virtual machine? Is to reduce this size?

First of all there is no free version of VMware Fusion.  There is however a free 30 day trial serial number that's used to test drive the product prior to purchasing! Smiley Wink

Secondly, the VMware Fusion 6.x application takes only about ~700 MB or ~900 MB installed, depending on which installer package downloaded.  The latter being the one that includes McAfee VirusScan Plus.

The PC must always be connected to access the virtual machine on mac or everything is copied into the mac?

If importing a Physical PC, once a Virtual Machine is created by importing the Physical PC it is then separate and apart from the Physical PC and no connection to the Physical PC is needed there after.

That said, keep in mind that if the Windows PC you're trying to import is an OEM version then one may not legally copy or move it to another machine, physical or virtual, as OEM versions live and die on the first system installed and are not transferable in any way shape or form by the OEM EULA!  Smiley Wink

If not a OEM version and because of the size IMO it is safer and better to install VMware vCenter Converter Standalone onto the Source System and create the Virtual Machine onto an external storage device like a USB External HDD.  Then transfer it to the Mac.  It will actually be faster then over the Network and less likely to fail if there is an interruption of Network Connectivity.

0 Kudos
renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Woodyz

Thanks for answer,

Secondly, the VMware Fusion 6.x application takes only about ~700 MB or ~900 MB installed, depending on which installer package downloaded.  The latter being the one that includes McAfee VirusScan Plus.

Why the fusion informs that must have 1.4 terabytes available? This is the sum of my three drives together. I found this strange. What can I be doing wrong?

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The size of the installed VMware Fusion application is separate and apart from any Virtual Machine you create!

In your OP you stated "I'm trying to install the free version of fusion on my Mac and the problem is that the space that is requiring is 1.4 tb" and that is not what's required for VMware Fusion.  I know what you meant however you have not correctly stated the situation and is one of many reasons why I phrased my first reply the way I did.

The bottom line is if you use the Import command in VMware Fusion you have no aggregate control over the creating of the Virtual Machine, it all or nothing at all!  This is just one of the reasons I suggest you use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone as you can select which drive(s) to leave out if needed/wanted.  I also expressed another issue about Network Connectivity in importing such a large system.

And again... Keep in mind that if the Windows PC you're trying to import is an OEM version then one may not legally copy or move it to another machine, physical or virtual, as OEM versions live and die on the first system installed and are not transferable in any way shape or form by the OEM EULA!

renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Woodyz,

Let's see if I understood: First, I must use the VM Converter (http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/), that is absolutely free Smiley Wink,  to create an image of the drive(s) (not folders or separate content) of the PC I want in my virtual machine, right? After, I've to use VMWare Fusion to import this file to Mac? If not that, I would be grateful if you could give a detailed explanation of this solution.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone gets installed on the Windows OS Source System and is use to create a Virtual Machine of that System.  When creating the Virtual Machine, I'd suggest it be saved to an external storage device like a USB HDD vs being sent across a network connection.  Note that if your systems support USB 3.0 that is considerable faster then USB 2.0.   If the Source System has multiple Partitions/Volumes/Drives and not all are needed/wanted to be in the Virtual Machine then you can use the controls available in VMware vCenter Converter Standalone to exclude unneeded/unwanted Partitions/Volumes/Drives.  I strongly suggest that you read the documentation! Have a look at: VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.5 User's Guide

Once the Virtual Machine has been created it can be transferred to the Mac and does not need to be Imported into VMware Fusion as it's already a VMware Virtual Machine.  Also I'm not saying that you cannot transfer via a network connection, just do not recommend it unless one has absoutly no other options! Smiley Wink

The only thing you might want to do is add an .vmwarevn extension onto the Folder that contains the files that comprise the Virtual Machine as this makes it a Virtual Machine Package as the default type created by VMware Fusion.  Other VMware products like VMware Player/Workstation on Windows or Linux just use a normal Folder where OS X gives special meaning to the .vmwarevm extension treating the Folder as a Package.  To then use the Virtual Machine in VMware Fusion you can use the File > Open... command or double-click the Virtual Machine Package or if you didn't package it just double-click the .vmx configuration file.  I do however suggest you add the .vmwarevm extension turning the Folder into a Package as it has advantages over leaving it just as a Folder.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Forgot to mention once you virtualize the physical machine you need to purchase additional licenses for both the OS and installed licensed applications if you intend to continue to use both the Physical Machine and the Virtual Machine even if not at the same time!

0 Kudos