VMware Communities
jdbasho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shutting down Mac Os X when Virtual machine is loaded, not running

I don't know if this is possible, but thought I'd ask anyway. I have a MacBook Pro which I'd rather keep on 24/7. Each night, I back up my Windows XP virtual machine at about midnight. My backup software has an option to shut down Windows after the backup. I tried having it do this and then scheduling a shut down of Mac OS X shortly afterwards, but a shut down does not seem to be possible with Fusion loaded (it cancels the shutdown even though the virtual machine is turned off). I tried changing the Fusion preference settings to not warn me when the virtual machine is shut down, but it still cancels the main shutdown anyway.

Thanks!

John Dean, Rochester,NY

Vmware Fusion Version 1.1

Windows XP Pro SP2

MacBookPro3,1,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Trendnet Wireless G Router

John Dean, Rochester,NY Vmware Fusion Version 1.1.3 Windows XP Pro SP3 MacBookPro3,1,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Trendnet Wireless G Router
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know if this is possible, but thought I'd ask anyway. I have a MacBook Pro which I'd rather keep on 24/7. Each night, I back up my Windows XP virtual machine at about midnight. My backup software has an option to shut down Windows after the backup. I tried having it do this and then scheduling a shut down of Mac OS X shortly afterwards, but a shut down does not seem to be possible with Fusion loaded (it cancels the shutdown even though the virtual machine is turned off). I tried changing the Fusion preference settings to not warn me when the virtual machine is shut down, but it still cancels the main shutdown anyway.

My suggestion would be to use AppleScript to quit VMware Fusion after the Windows Virtual Machine shuts down and before you shut down OS X.

I have attached a zip file QuitVMwareFusion.zip that contains the QuitVMwareFusion.scpt source code and the compiled script QuitVMwareFusion.app.

If you would like to modify of compile the source yourself then double-click the QuitVMwareFusion.scpt file, make whatever changes you would like and then save as an Application with no Options checked in the Save As dialog box.

Note: The extensions by default are not visible so to tell the difference you can ctrl-click the QuitVMwareFusion icon and select Get Info and look at the Name & Extension section.

You would schedule the QuitVMwareFusion.app to run after Windows shuts down and before OS X shuts down.

The Script:

The Save As dialog box:

The Script Icon: QuitVMwareFusion.scpt

The Script Application Icon: QuitVMwareFusion.app

File Attached: QuitVMwareFusion.zip

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My suggestion would be to use AppleScript to quit VMware Fusion after the Windows Virtual Machine shuts down and before you shut down OS X.

I have attached a zip file QuitVMwareFusion.zip that contains the QuitVMwareFusion.scpt source code and the compiled script QuitVMwareFusion.app.

If you would like to modify of compile the source yourself then double-click the QuitVMwareFusion.scpt file, make whatever changes you would like and then save as an Application with no Options checked in the Save As dialog box.

Note: The extensions by default are not visible so to tell the difference you can ctrl-click the QuitVMwareFusion icon and select Get Info and look at the Name & Extension section.

You would schedule the QuitVMwareFusion.app to run after Windows shuts down and before OS X shuts down.

The Script:

The Save As dialog box:

The Script Icon: QuitVMwareFusion.scpt

The Script Application Icon: QuitVMwareFusion.app

File Attached: QuitVMwareFusion.zip

0 Kudos
jdbasho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Woody Z,

That works really well! I didn't bother to alter your script -- I just used the compiled version. Certainly solves my "problem." Inspires me to learn more about AppleScript.

Thanks very much for a nice solution!

John Dean, Rochester,NY

Vmware Fusion Version 1.1

Windows XP Pro SP2

MacBookPro3,1,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Trendnet Wireless G Router

John Dean, Rochester,NY Vmware Fusion Version 1.1.3 Windows XP Pro SP3 MacBookPro3,1,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Trendnet Wireless G Router
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your welcome! You didn't say in the original post how you were scheduling your shutdown nor did I offer any suggestion on how to schedule the AppleScript compiled script to run either although cron is one way.

Anyway I thought I add that you could, if you wanted to, shutdown the Mac from within the AppleScript I provided by adding the following line however you will need to save as an Application as directed previously.

Add just "tell application "Finder" to shut down" without the leading/trailing quotes just after the "click menu item..." statement and above the "else" statement.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for reporting this, I've reproduced it and filed a bug internally.