VMware Communities
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

Shrinking one of four virtual disks shrinks them all

With Vista VM (Vista Ultimate, and boy do I wish I was just running running Vista Business), and Fusion 2.02 and Leopard 10.5.6 (no security date update just yet -- meaning no problems with Thin Print)

I have four virtual disks, one for SysApps, one for Data, one for Backups (of critical active files), one for Archives. The last two were just changed over to NTFS Compression and then I used VMTools to Shrink just the Archives disk. All four virtual disks are on my internal drive. Preparing to shink wasn't so bad, but the when it flips over to OSX it shows me that each of the four disks are take through the Shrink process, which takes forever. So the last disk shrunk was SysApps, and what a long night!

This isn't the first time I've noticed this, in the summer with I had two of the disks on the internal drive, and two of of the disks on an external drive. Every time I would shrink, it would go through all four disks on the OSX side of things, though I was only choosing one or two disk to shrink with VMTools.

Bottom line for me, the user, is no time is being saved by only selecting one of the four disks to shrink, so I might as well shrink them all. Though I'm not clear if the non-selected-disks are actual shrunk ( = > meaning the virtual disks I did not choose to shrink might be taken through the shrink process on the OSX side of things (I'm guess that each file-bit-whatever-it-is is examined by OSX one by one, but since I'm assuming/guessing/wondering that non-selected disks weren't prepared for shrinking on the VM side, that maybe no actual shrinking takes place for those disks ) ).

As far as NTFS Compression for a Vista VM, it saves some space, though maybe not as much as I'd like, and there doesn't seem to be any real loss of speed-performance, at least for text files that are opened, closed, moved, deleted.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies