VMware Communities
starcompute
Contributor
Contributor

Sharing vs. Mirroring?

I have just installed 2.0 for the first time and I would like some opinions on sharing data vs. mirroring data from my mac. Which option is better and what are the pros/cons of each?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

A HGFS Share is like a network share - you can access files from your Mac in the virtual machine. A Mirrored Folder (Windows-only, I believe) is a HGFS Share that Windows is told is special - for example, your Documents folder on the Mac is used as My Documents in Windows.

0 Kudos
Mike_Benis
Contributor
Contributor

Is it correct that mirroring even a very large amount of folders and files to the Windows virtual machine will not increase it's hard disk space requirements?

MTIA

Mike

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is it correct that mirroring even a very large amount of folders and files to the Windows virtual machine will not increase it's hard disk space requirements?

Yes, because mirrored files still live on the host side, not in the guest.

0 Kudos
Mike_Benis
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks - as always - for your very prompt reply.

With seasons greetings

Mike

0 Kudos
A_Smythe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There -

I know this is from a few months ago but I'm just trying to wrap my head around a couple of issues.

So, if I understand the replies within this thread, both mirroring and sharing result in the same thing, right? And both result in the same amount of disk space usage, right?

Thx for your help.

.a

0 Kudos