VMware Communities
Gallena
Contributor
Contributor

Sharing connection from Win 7 or Linux guest using Alfa USB Wifi adapter

I bought an Alfa AWUS036H to use on my Macbook with Mac OS 10.7. Unfortunately, I found out that the drivers do not support 10.7. So the only hope I have to use this adapter is to go through a VM and share the connection with my Mac.

I have a VM setup with Windows 7. The adapter is installed on the Windows VM and is working fine. I can access Internet on the VM without problem while my Mac is not connected to anything.

The VM's connection is set to bridged. However, whatever I set it to, the network adapter that represents the connection to my Mac always says "Unidentified network". The solution in the KB didn't work.

I enabled the sharing of the Wifi adapter's connection in the properties of the adapter on Windows.

I have tried the trick to create a computer-to-computer network on Airport to have a physical link enabled, however I found that on Windows, I couldn't connect to the C2C network and to my router at the same time. I can only enable a single Wifi connection.
I tried not sharing the connection and creating a network bridge on Windows instead.

None of the above worked.

I don't know what to do next. I'm willing to go the Linux route if it may make things easier.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pier25
Contributor
Contributor

Bump

I'm in the same situation... I want to use a Linux VM with an Alfa AWUS036NHR and connect the host Mac OS to the Linux VM network.

0 Kudos