VMware Communities
NivaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shared folders no longer work after Linux Guest VM update

VMWare Fusion 7.1.1 on a 2012 Macbook Pro RD running latest Yosemite.

Guest VM: Ubuntu Studio 14.0.4.2 LTS

I have had Shared Folders enabled on this VM for quite some time.  When there are major OS software updates/patches, I usually have to re-run the VMWare Tools installation to get shared folders back.

After a recent OS software update and VMWare Tools reinstall, shared folders no longer work.  I get "Unable to update run-time folder sharing status: There was an error mounting the Shared Folders file system inside the guest operating system"

I am using the VMWare Tools installer from Fusion 7.1.1

If I restore a snapshot done before the Linux software update, shared folders work without a problem.

Steps I have taken:

1) Searched Ubuntu forums extensively.  There are suggestions to manually run certain package installations such as

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

followed by a VMWare Tools reinstallation.

This does not work.

2) Searched VMWare support for the error message.  There are some legacy instructions for OpenSuSE but they don't seem to apply to this version of Linux or Fusion

Suggestions appreciated.

5 Replies
AdrianDay
Contributor
Contributor

You're not alone. It is indeed broken. There's a thread here. Still waiting for the fix to be rolled out. Let's hope there's not another kernel release that comes along in the meantime.

NivaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you.  I've bookmarked the other thread and rolled my Ubuntu installation back to a prior snapshot until the fix is released.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well, I have a project hanging due to this.

I wonder if VMWare is ever going to remedy this?

VMWare should document a concise work-around ( concise ==> easy to follow ).

NivaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree that the fix is overdue.  But, I just tried user Ecoplacehunter's tip in the other thread:

vmhgfs module not compilable for VMware Tools 9.9.0 (Fusion7.1) after Ubuntu Linux kernel update to ...

Unfortunately, I can't permalink to the specific post.  It is on page 2 and involves rebooting with the shift key held down.  In an Advanced menu in the recovery mode, you can select an earlier kernel -45.  This restores the shared folders while preserving any other updates you may have done.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have a look at https://communities.vmware.com/message/2493996#2493996 When is the next version due?

0 Kudos