VMware Communities
clairealex7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shared folders between Mac OS host and Mac OS VM

I am trying to enable Shared Folders between my Mac OS Host machine (Monterey) and my Mac OS VM (Big Sur).

I followed the documentation, but on the VM, I see  a VMware Shared Folders shortcut on the desktop, but it is empty. How do I access it from the host, to be able to share files between them?

Thank you!

Claire

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

It goes Host -> Guest, not Guest -> Host.

If you'd like to go in that direction, you'd want an SMB/AFP/NFS network type of share.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
clairealex7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, thank you for responding. What I would like is to be able to access files stored on the host, when I am in the guest (the VM).
In the guest, I see the shortcut VMware Shared Folder, but it is empty. I thought I could see files stored on the host through this folder.
I am used to VMware Workstation on Windows, and was expecting the same functionality in Fusion for mac OS.
Can you give me more info on how to get files from the host to the guest? I have been trying to make this work for hours now, and I can't get it to work.😓

Thank you,  

Claire

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The same feature as you see on Workstation does also exist on Fusion.

Did you do both of

• enabling folder sharing in the virtual machine’s settings, and
  • adding the folders you wish to access in the virtual machine to the list of shared folders in the Folder Sharing settings?
- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
clairealex7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I did do what you said. I have created a SharedWithVM folder on the host, that I shared with everyone, and I put a dummy file in it.
Then I added this folder to the shared folders in the VM. I do not see the dummy file in the VM, when I open the shortcut VMware Shared Folders in the VM. See the screenshots I attached. What am I missing?

Thank you!

Claire

0 Kudos