VMware Communities
Kentzo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Shared folders are not available from within an ssh session

I'm using VMware 12.2.4 with both host and guest running 11.7

There is a folder on host shared with the guest for both reading and writing. I can access the directory from within VMware's GUI session, but when I ssh using the same user I suddenly lose access: commands such `ls` give back "Operation not permitted".

My guess is that some authorization is not kicking in when I'm connecting over ssh, but I have no idea how to fix that.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kentzo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Indeed, it turned up to be an issue with how permissions on macOS.

I needed to enable Full Disk Access for remote users (System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login -> Allow full disk access for remote users)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you open the Terminal app from within the GUI session in the VM, can you access the shared folder from there? Or do you still get the “operation not permitted”?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Kentzo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It does work within the GUI session.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251027260 - it appears this is a similar issue to what you're seeing. It is a macOS issue, not related to Fusion.

The article suggests that you give Full Disk Access to the shell you're using (the default shell for Big Sur is /bin/zsh instead of /bin/bash) 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
Kentzo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Indeed, it turned up to be an issue with how permissions on macOS.

I needed to enable Full Disk Access for remote users (System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login -> Allow full disk access for remote users)