VMware Communities
pufferdude
Contributor
Contributor

Shared folders and Bootcamp?

I am running a Vista SP1 VM from the Boot Camp partition using Fusion 2.0 on a new MacBook Pro. Everything is working fine, except shared folders. I have enabled the desktop and my user folder in OSX to be shared, and the VMware Shared Folders icon mapped to
.host\Shared Folders shows up on the Vista desktop. But when I open the folder it is empty, and I cannot copy anything into it or see anything in the OSX folders I've shared.

Are shared folders not supported when running a VM that is coming from Boot Camp instead of a "native" VM on the OSX file system?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Mirrored folders intentionally don't work in Boot Camp virtual machines (because when you reboot natively, the mirrored folders won't be available. If you're savvy enough to handle this, you're also savvy enough to manually set it up yourself). Apart from that, I don't think there are Boot Camp specific restrictions.

0 Kudos
pufferdude
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I can understand the logic behind mirrored folders not working, but in this case I was just trying to get access to the Mac drive from the Boot Camp VM, which seems like it should work. I guess because mirroring is an option in the shared folders setup, they disabled everything when using a Boot Camp VM. Shame. Makes it a lot less useful.

0 Kudos