VMware Communities
witchbutter303
Contributor
Contributor

Shared Folders in Fedora 18 Guest

I am able to install a Fedora 18 guest on VMware Fusion 5 Pro in Mountain Lion without much issue and I have vmware tools compiled and running.  However even though the vmware filesystem sync module compiled and installed successfully, shared folders do not work. The directory /mnt/hgfs does not exist.  Is the shared folder feature dependent on another rpm or autofs configuration possibly?  Does anyone else have this working?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
witchbutter303
Contributor
Contributor

As an update I realize for kernel version 3.8.7 that vmci was not actually compiling successfully.  Following the pointers in this article I was able to get vmci to compile and consequently vmblock also compiled.  It seems that vmblock is the module I need to have running in order for shared folders to work.  After a reboot vmblock does not load:

[root@localhost ~]# lsmod | grep vm
vmw_balloon            13415  0
vmci                   90030  1 vsock
vmwgfx                130958  3
ttm                    79629  1 vmwgfx
drm                   264680  4 ttm,vmwgfx
[root@localhost ~]#

And there is a now a /mnt/hgfs directory which is empty.

vmblock does not load manually:

[root@localhost ~]# modprobe vmblock
modprobe: FATAL: Module vmblock not found.
[root@localhost ~]#

And if I attempt to add and removed the shared folder in settings while the vm runs I receive this error:

"Unable to update run-time folder sharing status:  There was an error mounting Shared Folders file system inside the guest operating system"

0 Kudos