VMware Communities
vmdavid
Contributor
Contributor

Shared Documents Folder with Fusion 7 and Windows 8

This is really a suggestion based on my experience.

When you share the Documents folder in Fusion 7, it shows up in windows 8 as \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Documents.  That isn't a problem in itself but I've discovered a number of applications seem to want to go one level up to create user related folders.  Natively on windows, the documents folder is at C:\Users\Username\Documents so one level up is C:\Users\Username which is fine for such things.  But one level up from the shared folder is \\vmware-host\Shared Folders which isn't a valid path to write to.  This has caused me a number problems where I have to figure out ways to force paths into different locations.

I've since realised a better way was to turn off Documents sharing and create a share to the users home folder on the mac so the documents folder path becomes \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\macusername\Documents.

So my suggestion is, consider an option where the user's home folder is shared and the other folder are based off that home folder path.  This would probably make the default setup a bit friendlier with windows 8.

0 Kudos
0 Replies