VMware Communities
asdasd123qd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Share host VPN with guest

Hi,

I'm using VMware Fusion 12.0.0 (16880131) in macOS Big Sur Beta 10. In macOS (host), I'm connected to a VPN. I want to share the VPN connection with my Windows 10 2004 (guest), but this doesn't work. Internet connection is available but websites which are only available in VPN aren't. The guest network is connected via NAT. How can I archive the sharing or isn't this possible currently?

If you need any further information, please let me know.

Thanks!

49 Replies
Machattan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is this still a problem? Because we can't get it to work. Command line and all. VMWare 12.1.1 and Big Sur 13.2. Our VPN solution is Cisco AnyConnect. 9.4. What gives? Parallels and VituralBox work as expected. No tweaking required. Out of the box! GAH.

DavidGriffiths
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm on VMWare 12.1.1, macOS 11.3. Still have to do the pfctl thing every time I reboot.

0 Kudos
thig95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

5/25/2021 just installed 12.1.2 and this VPN issue is STILL a known issue and not resolved. Over 7 months later and this is STILL a problem....

dobraccoon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found a solution here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Share-host-VPN-with-guest/m-p/2809728#M1...
Thanks to users:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/5451486 and https://communities.vmware.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/5449363

For convenience, I made 2 files, you need unzip them into one folder

You need to do the following:

1. Go to the directory with files

2. sudo chmod 775 update_vm_net_rules_script.sh

3. Start VPN

4. Start the guest OS in VMWare

5. Find your VPN alias using the ifconfig command. I have a VPN network alias = utun2

6. Determine the IP of the guest OS: I have 172.16.56.1

7. Change the values ​​of utun2 and IP of the guest OS in the new_vm_network_rules.conf file to your own

8. run * .sh with the command: sudo ./update_vm_net_rules_script.sh

The result will display the rule settings for VMWare

!!! Each time you restart VPN or VMWare, you need to do steps 5,7,8
Files code:

1. new_vm_network_rules.conf:

<code>
#Find your vpn network alias by command: ifconfig
#Edit line like:
#nat on <your vpn network alias> inet from <Your VM(guest) IP>.0/24 to any ->(<your vpn network alias>) extfilter ei
#Completed example: nat on utun2 inet from 172.16.56.0/24 to any -> (utun2) extfilter ei
nat on utun2 inet from 172.16.56.0/24 to any -> (utun2) extfilter ei
<code>

2. update_vm_net_rules_script.sh
<code>
#! /bin/bash
path=$(pwd)
cd $path
sudo pfctl -a com.apple.internet-sharing/shared_v4 -N -f new_vm_network_rules.conf 2>/dev/null
sudo pfctl -a com.apple.internet-sharing/shared_v4 -s nat 2>/dev/null
<code>
0 Kudos
djt70
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In reference to https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Share-host-VPN-with-guest/m-p/2811431/hi... , I am having this exact same issue.  The utun2 is already configured when VMWare starts if the VPN is running, yet the NAT interface doesn't work.  Has anyone found a solution for this scenario?  

0 Kudos
DavidGriffiths
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure which exact problem you mean but I've a bunch of utun entries, not just utun2. I think that may have been due to the other(s) not working or something.

$ sudo pfctl -a com.apple.internet-sharing/shared_v4 -N -f ~/newrules.conf 2>/dev/null
$ cat ~/newrules.conf
nat on en0 inet from 192.168.189.0/24 to any -> (en0:0) extfilter ei
no nat on bridge100 inet from 192.168.189.1 to 192.168.189.0/24
nat on utun0 inet from 192.168.189.0/24 to any -> (utun0) extfilter ei
nat on utun1 inet from 192.168.189.0/24 to any -> (utun1) extfilter ei
nat on utun2 inet from 192.168.189.0/24 to any -> (utun2) extfilter ei
nat on utun3 inet from 192.168.189.0/24 to any -> (utun2) extfilter ei
nat on utun4 inet from 192.168.189.0/24 to any -> (utun2) extfilter ei

0 Kudos
glansbury
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I updated OS to big sur last month and had no idea this "feature" broke. I was smashing my head against the wall for an hours blaming myself. Not cool.

Do you expect people to spend hours looking for workarounds for bugs like this every time something breaks? 

The year is 2021 and this is still an issue for paid software.  NO excuse for no patch

0 Kudos
glansbury
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yeah I am fully updated on all fronts of the software you mentioned and still experiencing these problems

The solution to this problem is to switch to VirtualBox. I can confirm that is working now

0 Kudos
jboles_cmu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just a note to everyone that's subscribed to this topic - seems like recent update to Fusion Pro 12.2.0 fixed this issue.

(at least for me.  running Big Sur 11.6 on Intel MacBook Air 2020.  Cisco AnyConnect 4.10.01075 with "split" VPN)

From within Ubuntu 20 VM, I could reach general internet while host Mac was connected to VPN, and I could also reach private hosts.  Disconnecting from VPN I couldn't reach private, but general internet continued to work.

I haven't yet tried rebooting or suspend/resume, or with wired-ethernet usb-c adapter (only tried while on wifi).