VMware Communities
hscicek
Contributor
Contributor

Share folders will not be available in the virtual machine until VMware tools is installed and running.

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro. I installed VMware Fusion 8.5.8 and win8 x64, but I could not successful share folders between them. I get alerts that "Share folders will not be available in the virtual machine until VMware tools is installed and running."

I need help urgently.

Huseyin

Tags (1)
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

So have you installed the VMware Tools in the Windows 8 guest VM yet?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

You need to install VMware Tools. Tools contains all drivers and helper software for interacting between the Host Mac and the Guest VM (Windows)

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003417

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
hscicek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

installing VMware Tools is invisible to click. that is passive to click. So, what can I do?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The VM must be powered on and open, and the user logged into the VM (i.e. it is at a normal logged-in desktop) before you can install the Tools.  Follow the step-by-step procedure in the Help/User Manual for installing VMware Tools in a Windows guest.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Or go through the steps in the KB article I linked Smiley Wink

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
hscicek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I think that before installing win8 into VM, I have to install The VM tools then install windows8. My problem that I already installed windows8 into The VM without installing The VM tools.

I already using windows now. Is there any solution for this.

Thanks evenone

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

PLEASE read the help manual, or the KB article which Michael linked to above!!!  You MUST install the VMware Tools AFTER your OS is installed (they are a package of device drivers for that particular guest OS... can't install drivers if an OS isn't installed already!) - and up and running and logged in.

0 Kudos