VMware Communities
pmhausen
Contributor
Contributor

Serial port support - please?

Hi!

What's the current plans with respect to serial ports? I'd really like to be able to map,

say, COM1 to /dev/cu.KeySerial1 like on Linux. I just found the first Windows application

that simply does not work with the Keyspan USB serial adapter driver installed in Windows,

but does work with VMware server on Linux and a serial port mapping like the above.

I strongly believe I'm not the only one Smiley Wink

Additionally I've been using Virtual PC on various G3 and G4 Macs with Keyspan serial

adapters and a serial-to-serial mapping, too. Worked great - apart from VPC on a Power

PC CPU being slooooow ...

Seriously, that's the last thing I'm missing in the current beta.

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
24 Replies
pmhausen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, all!

I'm just taking the opportunity to bring this up again. Any chance we see true serial port support in 1.1?

Take care,

Patrick

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Any chance we see true serial port support in 1.1?

It's pretty late in the release cycle (we already passed release candidate), so there are unlikely to be changes in this area - whatever the state of serial support in 1.1rc1 is almost certainly what will be in the final version.

0 Kudos
stuartsf
Contributor
Contributor

'm using the Keyspan USA-19H adapter with Ubuntu 8 on VMWare Fusion on Mac OS X.

It works within Ubuntu using the Ubuntu USB drivers, but at 115k Baud, some characters are lost when reading. I haven't been able to try lower data rates yet. I thought I might achieve better performance using the Mac OS X USB drivers and a virtual serial port as in your posting. It looks like a neat trick.

However, the command line you suggest:

socat /dev/tty.USA19Hfd32P1.1,cread=1,clocal=1,cs8,nonblock=1 unix-listen:/tmp/serial1

produces the following error message:

socat[1927] E parseopts(): unknown option "cread"

Is this really what you did? Or is there some other magic necessary? I've perused the socat documentation but I have to admit I don't understand most of it.

Stuart

0 Kudos
raiten
Contributor
Contributor

No news on this for next release ?

Fusion 2 does not seem to support BSD serial ports too and usb-serial adaptor split.

0 Kudos
LandonL
Contributor
Contributor

Could we get an update on this issue?  I realize this is an old thread, but I would expect some progress by now.  Has the bug been fixed on Apple's side?  I also need to map virtual serial ports to USB Serial Adapters in /dev without installing them in the Guest OS.

0 Kudos