VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Self assigned IP

In Fusion 12.2.4 running on Big Sur, if you have private IP connected to a network, (169.x.x range), and you set 'service order' on MacOS to that being first priority, you must first disconnect from Wi-Fi, for it to work.. Is there anya way around this.??

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 10.31.28 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 10.31.36 am.png

Verified this,, by using iPhone personal  hot spot while WI-Fi was still connected, make iPhone First pririty, and then check ip...

traffic was pulled from iPhone first, not from Wi-fi, so the issue with with Fusion, not Mac.

To resole the issue with Fusion, i must first disconnect from Wi-fi for it to "see" 169.x.x. otherwise i get timed out, which means being self-assigned Ip specifically, it ignores service order for this only.

Running MacOS Big SUr 11.6.8 and clean installed...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not exactly sure from what you're describing where you are seeing the problem. Is the problem at macOS, or in a Fusion virtual machine. 

Could you post details on the networking configuration using macOS ifconfig command line tools before and after you attempt your changes so we get a better idea of what's going on? (text file, please, not a screen shot).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Attached below.

en0 is my Wi-fi

en4 is my 169.x.x bridged connected to my NAS directly. (ESXi) on same 169.x network so it can see mounted NFS on Nas

In the first text, both interfaces are connected, and i cannot access on 169.x. via web browser

In the second one, with Wifi inactive, I can access 169.x via web browser

Only in VMware Fusion. 

When iphone is connected hotspot, and its pushed to the first priority... and Wi-fi is also enabled.  Iphone is taken first as it should.

0 Kudos