VMware Communities
Danv111
Contributor
Contributor

Security Concerns

Hello, I am new to the forum but searched to find any documentation about either managing a node that has vmware fusion or locking down the installation. I am a administrator and we are starting to have users request intel based mac's and wanting to run fusion. I would like to find a way to lock down the installation so that a user cannot install another virtual machine. Is there a way to do this?

Many thanks for your help

-Dan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There is nothing in Fusion to provide what you're looking for so you'll have to implement your security concerns some other way.

In other word all security will have to be implemented in OS X and or the Guest OS but with the exception of McAfee VirusScan Plus for Wnidows XP/Vista Fusion does not provide and security measures whatsoever that cannot be usurped by the User.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
Danv111
Contributor
Contributor

Woody, I appreciate your response. At this point Fusion seems more of a application to be used by a home user and not in a corporate enviorment because of the lack of management controls. Thanks again for your time and have a great day.

-Dan

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes VMware Fusion is very much geared to the Consumer and what you'd like is VMware ACE for Mac but it doesn't exist (yet). Smiley Sad Note: I do not know whether or not there are plans to produce VMware Workstation/ACE for Mac and even if VMware was planning to I don't see it happening for a few years at the least and VMware's policy is not to comment on things like that so we will probably not get anything official on it until we one day see a Beta version of those products for the Mac.

0 Kudos
Danv111
Contributor
Contributor

Woody, thanks for your input on this. As of right now that is a security exploit waiting to happen.

Appreciate all your input and hope you have a great week

-Dan

0 Kudos