VMware Communities
amaramrahul
Contributor
Contributor

Second monitor cannot be configured for extended dispaly in Debian Stretch Guest OS

I am using Vmware Fusion on Mac and have Debian Stretch installed as my guest OS. I have installed open-vm-tools in the guest OS, and I have also configured the VM to use all dispays in full screen mode as per Using Unity and multiple displays in VMware Fusion (2000384) | VMware KB . Now, when I login to my guest OS, the display is mirrored on both the monitors, but when I check for available monitors, it shows only one - "Virtual1". Even "xrandr --query" shows only one monitor. This means that there is no way that I can use the second monitor as extended display. I have spent quite sometime but have been able to figure out the solution to this. Has anyone else faced this problem?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you try it with the bundle tools?

Suggest to backup current VM first. Then uninstall open-vm-tools, and install bundle tools via Virtual Machine - > Install VMware Tools menu.

0 Kudos
amaramrahul
Contributor
Contributor

Tried this. It is of no use. Same problem. I see only one display "Virtual1" in Display settings. I followed the settings in Installing VMware Tools in a Linux virtual machine using a Compiler (1018414) | VMware KB, except that for instead of "/usr/bin/vmware-toolbox &" command. I used /usr/bin/vmware-user.

0 Kudos