VMware Communities
engj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Scroll Click (Mouse Button 3) - AutoCAD Pan issue, intermittent function

I'm not sure when this started occurring since there have been a few major updates on both the VM Fusion and Windows side of things, but recently I've found that "3rd Mouse Button" (aka Scroll Wheel click) is extremely intermittent. I use this button a lot in AutoCAD to pan around drawings, and lately it seems like there is nothing but headaches.

Some interesting facts:

- this happens MORE frequently if I have the "Virtual Machine Library" window minimized

- if I have the Virtual Machine Library window maximized, it still happens but LESS frequently

- Previous assumption was wrong - does not matter if VML window is minimized or maximized

- Control-Mouse3 never has an issue. Only Mouse3 by itself.

- no other mouse functions seem odd

- Took USB drivers down to USB 1.1, removed any USB 3.0 speciality drivers from Windows (no change)

- this effect does not occur if I am using the MacBook without an external monitor

Operating Environment:

-MacBook Pro, Retina, 15" Mid-2015

-Dell P2715Q UHD Monitor, through mini-displayport to DisplayPort

- macOS Sierra, 10.12.6

- Windows 10 Pro

- VM Fusion 8.5.8

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
engj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was a strange one - and ultimately not the fault of software.

The click wheel on the mouse was actually in the process of failing - and just happened to work / stop working when certain things were done (like VM Ware Tools re-installation). It was a bit of mystery because at time some things were seen to help, while others didn't. Today I had a complete failure of this click, realized it was failing no matter if VMWare Tools was installed or not, so I swapped it out with another mouse.... and it works.

It was especially frustrating because sometimes it would work 98% of the time, other times only 50% of the time, but I guess on a long enough timeline, it was mechanically destined for 0%.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
engj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

updated with additional information.

0 Kudos
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Might help more if there are logs to look at. Please review KB Collecting diagnostic information for VMware Fusion (1003894) and review. Anything there. What about from inside the Guest OS/Windows 10 logs/Event Viewer. Anything there? Might want to try uninstalling/Reinstalling VMware Tools also and see if this helps.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
engj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. The VM had older VMWare Tools from 5/22/17, I uninstalled and re-installed and it has vastly improved. I'm going to give this a run for a week and I'll tag your answer as the correct one if I don't experience this any more.

0 Kudos
muckd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i use autocad with a magic mouse, holding down command acts as the 3rd button, it might help you if you find you are struggling with yours

0 Kudos
engj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was a strange one - and ultimately not the fault of software.

The click wheel on the mouse was actually in the process of failing - and just happened to work / stop working when certain things were done (like VM Ware Tools re-installation). It was a bit of mystery because at time some things were seen to help, while others didn't. Today I had a complete failure of this click, realized it was failing no matter if VMWare Tools was installed or not, so I swapped it out with another mouse.... and it works.

It was especially frustrating because sometimes it would work 98% of the time, other times only 50% of the time, but I guess on a long enough timeline, it was mechanically destined for 0%.

0 Kudos