VMware Communities
pepperbc
Contributor
Contributor

Screen Flickering in Fusion Player 12.0.0 w/ Full screen and 3D Graphics enabled

When in full screen with 3D graphics enabled, I get a pulse of the screen dimming/brightening about every second. Turning off 3D Graphics solves the problem, but my intended use uses 3D graphics so that doesn't really help me. The suggestion in a 2012 Knowledge Base article of turning Full Screen Minibar to "always on" also works, but I'd prefer not to have that always there.  (And it claims the underlying issue was fixed in 5.0)

On the latest Big Sur beta, and Fusion Player 12.0.0. This is a brand new VM with a brand new installation of Windows 10.

Similar issues:

Re: VMware Fusion 12 flicker problems on Mac Catalina 10.15.6

VMware Knowledge Base

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
ssmaccabe
Contributor
Contributor

This is still a thing in 12.1.2.

Big Sur with Windows, or Ubuntu VMs.

0 Kudos
gebara
Contributor
Contributor

For more than a year i tried every "solution" to get rid of this problem - even a fresh installation of "Windows 10 pro" to replace my "2019 server" does not help.

I´m developing on windows, unfortunatly, and this "VMWare" stuff simply does not work. 

I've using VMWare on Windows and OSX/MacOs for 15 years, but now i`m really sick of it ---> my advice after some weeks of testing: switch to Parallels !!!

Good bye VMWare ....

0 Kudos
gebara
Contributor
Contributor

I have to regret my last message - after disabling the library window which continiously updated a small view of the currently running vm the flickering stopped.

Such a simple reason ...

So: VMWare, hello again 😉

0 Kudos
gebara
Contributor
Contributor

it helped for one hour - so now definiteley Parallels ! 😞

😡

0 Kudos
Drumski
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded to the latest Fusion version 12.2 0 and the problem is still there! Every time I connect the big screen to my MacBook Pro (13" 2020 with Big Sur 11.6) the flashing starts. This is really annoying because I can't use my big display, instead I have to use the small 13" screen. Between MacBook Pro and 27" Dell display is Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro.

This broblem is only when I use Full Screen mode in my extrenal display. And I really need to use my big external display instead my smal 13" MacBook Pro internal display.

I tried these solutions what I found this forum:

View -> Full Screen Minibar -> Always show.
Result: I need to watch annoying minibar and THE PROBLEM IS STILL HERE!

I chose another color profile in System Settings / Displays.
Result: No help. THE PROBLEM IS STILL HERE!

I wonder why this problem is still here? Why VMware does not do anything? I really hope that VMware will solving this and do bug fixes ASAP!

0 Kudos
Drumski
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the Fusion Player 12.2.1 update today. The problem is still here! The screen still flickers! I can't use an external monitor! Amazing, VMware can't fix this problem that has been going on for a long time! I'm really disappointed…

0 Kudos
Neil_Erskine
Contributor
Contributor

I suspect that the fix is Windows 10 specific, and as Windows 10 isn't supported on newer non-Intel Macs, VMWare has decided to concentrate its Mac resources elsewhere and has no intention of fixing the problem. I'm in the process of evaluating Parallels, as I need Windows 10 enough to have bought a second Intel MAC Book Pro.

Certainly I would have stuck with Catalina if I had known Fusion didn't work with Windows on Bug Sur.

0 Kudos
bayindirh
Contributor
Contributor

No, the problem is happening regardless of the OS. I'm having the flicker on a fully updated Debian 11 Stable for example. It's a Big Sur issue mostly and affects all Guest OSs.

I can handle the issue almost gracefully since I only need terminal access to my Linux guest, but it gets quickly irritating when using the desktop environment.

As far as I understood, it's not about the video drivers on the guest side either. There's something strange going on, and no feedback from VMWare side is a little concerning to be honest.

0 Kudos
gebara
Contributor
Contributor

Same with me, tested in a fresh Win10en64-installation - it`s simply ridiculous !

Ended up in a switch to Parallels, works like a charm ...

Good bye, VMWare !

0 Kudos
alexdvx
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, how did you disabled the library?

Thank you in advance 😉

0 Kudos