VMware Communities
nigeljac
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung Galaxy S3 won't connect?

Hi all,

I'm using vmware 4.1.3 on Lion 10.7.4. I current have XP sp3 installed, but have the same problem with win7 sp1.

I recently changed mobile to a Samsung Galaxy S3, but the phone can't connect as a mass storage device when either windows version is running in vmware.

With both versions if I boot directly into windows the phone connects when plugged into a USB port, and an Explorer window opens showing the phone and sd card. When running in vmware however, I see a "USB device not recognised" message in the taskbar that pops up every few seconds. In device manager there is an unrecognised device on the USB root hub.

I have no idea how to solve this. I tried adding the mentioned lines from this thread (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/292049 )into my vmx config file, but without success..

usb.quirks.device0 = "0x4e8:0x681d skip-reset" # Mass Storage
usb.quirks.device1 = "0x4e8:0x68a9 skip-reset" # Media
usb.quirks.device2 = "0x4e8:0x6877 skip-reset" # Kies
usb.quirks.device3 = "0x4e8:0x681c skip-reset" # ?

I've also to 'update driver' for the failed device in the root hub but windows can't find the right driver, and I don't know what to provide it!

Can anyone shed any light as to why my phone should be unrecognised when windows is running in vmware, when it's fine when connected directly to windows?

Maybe one day Apple will sort out Lion to enable Android File Transfer to work as it used to under Snow Leopard.

Cheers, Nige

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dougga
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to be a well-documented problem in other threads here.

I'm in the same boat.

I don't see any reference to a set of instructions that resolves this.

It appears to be in Samsung's hands but I'm not 100% on that.

Cheers

0 Kudos