VMware Communities
mkummer
Contributor
Contributor

Safari hangs after Fusion quits...

Hi - since some time I encounter computer hangs after quitting VM Fusion 1.1.1 - f.e. if I start Safari directly after fusion finished, Safari hangs and must be forced to quit. The second time, Safari starts as usual. Same with Yojimbo. Any ideas or experiences?

regards, Michael

regards, Michael
0 Kudos
4 Replies
leafy7382
Contributor
Contributor

I concur that I am seeing this as well, worse with Safari 5, less with Safari 4.

If I have Safari 5 with a few tabs opened that are heavily utilizing Javascript (such as Gmail, Greader, Plurk), this will be a quicker death. Launching VMWare Fusion with Safari 5 opened may sometimes cause the resume of guest OS VERY VERY VERY VERY slow, like over 4 minutes for my Windows 7 guest. Also, my Fusion crashed twice already in such a configuration, and Safari lagged badly after VMWare went down. Cleaning up vmware-vmx process and restarting Safari brings back the responsiveness.

My current work around is to avoid having both Safari 5 and VMWare Fusion running at the same time, but sometimes that is not practical and unavoidable. If any VMWare guy can contact me on this issue, I'd happily help debug.

Cheers,

CW

0 Kudos
rhwong33
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing this issue as well and have been experiencing the hangups more with Safari 5 than Safari 4. I just closed out a VM and had to kill the Safari process right after.

0 Kudos
leafy7382
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing this every time I close a VM. Fusion's vmx process would persist in the system long after the UI has been closed, causing Safari to hang or block (or have weird dis-coloured figures when opening a new tab).

Is VMWare aware of this issue?

0 Kudos
stevemaser
Contributor
Contributor

Can I bump this to see if anybody has any current thoughts on this?

I see the same poor interaction with Safari on the Mac while my Win7 SP1 VM is running.   SPODs, web pages not loading for ages, the need to Force Quit Safari, etc...

It's next to impossible to use Safari while the VM is loading or resuming, etc., but it's really not clear *why* there should be such a drastic interruption in the operation of Safari -- just while having a VM up (that's not doing anything in particular in the foreground, but is likely "checking home" in the background for Windows Updates, etc...)

0 Kudos