VMware Communities
gordingin
Contributor
Contributor

SUPPORT SUCKS VMWARE!!!! What do you expect for an $80 product

I am trying to eval this product for a company wide purchase and so far, I am not that impressed. I have video issues ,network issues and this morning, I got this error msg...

NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora/devices/mainmem/mainMemHosted.c:2237

A log file is available in "/Users/gordingin/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/vmware.log". Please request support and include the contents of the log file.

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Information" from the Help menu.

You can also run "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool" directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

There is no file at that location or the support tool. VMWare looks like Microsoft was 10 years ago - very SAD support. And I only get it if I buy the product and only email.

Anyone have an idea what this means or should I just buy Parallel?

thanks

Ralph

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
VTMac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think most people would tell you that VMWare support is somewhere between 10 and 1 Million times better than Parallels. As for your expectation of free support for a product which you have not paid ... hmmm .. sounds like a real losing proposition as a business model.

0 Kudos
gordingin
Contributor
Contributor

During an eval period? I think support is fundamental for survival. I love many things about this but if I can't get it to work, I can't buy it. I don't know, makes sense to me. So I will pay $80 for email support... stellar company polic - sounds like this was take right from the Microsoft handbook.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I am trying to eval this product for a company wide purchase and so far, I am not that impressed. I have video issues ,network issues and this morning, I got this error msg...

NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora/devices/mainmem/mainMemHosted.c:2237

A log file is available in "/Users/gordingin/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/vmware.log". Please request support and include the contents of the log file.

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Information" from the Help menu.

You can also run "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool" directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

There is no file at that location or the support tool.

Well if you expect to get support for a product you haven't even bought then I'd suggest you find a product that gives you support when you haven't bought it and I'd like to tell you which product does that however I don't know of any company that gives support if you haven't bought their product. It is pretty much industry standard that evaluations and demos are not supported. However you certainly can use this Forum to get some help although starting off with a poor attitude isn't going to encourage someone to help you to much!

The Virtual Machine is in a Package and that may be why you can see the vmware.log file and you need to ctrl-click on the Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm (the .vmwarevm portion is hidden in Finder by default) and select Show Package Content.

Are you saying there is no "Collect Support Information" command on the VMware Fusion Help menu? There should be and if it's not there maybe you have a corrupt install of Fusion however if it is there the run it and attach the file created on your Desktop to a reply post and maybe one of us here will look at it for you.

You could also just copy the vmware.log file to the Desktop in Terminal using the following command.

cp "/Users/gordingin/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/vmware.log" ~/Desktop

Have you search the Forum for and helpful suggestion surrounding the error?

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Fusion and did you validate the MD5SUM on the .DMG you downloaded before you installed it to make sure the downloaded install package was valid?

Also all we know is you installed Fusion and you have some issues however other then the error message you haven't really provided enough information to be specific about anything so have a look at and provide the information requested so as to make it easier on those of us that are willing to give you free support on our own time that were not getting paid to help you either!

VMWare looks like Microsoft was 10 years ago - very SAD support. And I only get it if I buy the product and only email.

Yes support by email does suck however this information and all other support options are stated at VMware's web site so if you need on the phone hand holding then higher a professional or change your attitude and someone here may be willing to help you.

Anyone have an idea what this means or should I just buy Parallel?

Well if you provide the information requested in and or the "Collect Support Information" command on the VMware Fusion Help menu and post it here and ask nicely then you may just get lots of free help otherwise maybe you should go buy Parallels and see if your not better off for it!

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
gordingin
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed, I did have a poor attitude but was because I lost a good chunk of data because of that error... but I will ignore it for now. I have a different issue right now... I am entering this info in via FireFox under MAC. But in my VMWare bootcamp session, I can't get internet connection. I didn't change any thing on windows side of things. I just STOPPED working.

How do I go about figuring out what is wrong.. I do have a valid IP, DNS, etc... Repairing (Disable and Enabling) doesn't help, although I get an IP - again this is ALL under windows...

So how do I go and trouble shoot this?

thanks

0 Kudos
gordingin
Contributor
Contributor

and with that help I DO see the fies, thank you. I have 3 of them. Should I post it?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have a different issue right now... I am entering this info in via FireFox under MAC. But in my VMWare bootcamp session, I can't get internet connection. I didn't change any thing on windows side of things. I just STOPPED working.

Did this just stop working on its own or after the "NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora..." error?

How do I go about figuring out what is wrong.. I do have a valid IP, DNS, etc... Repairing (Disable and Enabling) doesn't help, although I get an IP - again this is ALL under windows...

So how do I go and trouble shoot this?

If you want help then you need to read and provide the information requested in order to aid in troubleshooting your issue(s). Aside from the "NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora..." error message you haven provided and other relevant explicit and specific technical information and this type of information is necessary.

Either provide the *.log files from the Virtual Machine's Package and or use the "Collect Support Information" command on the VMware Fusion Help menu to gather technical support information and attach the file(s) to a reply post.

We aren't mind readers here and we can't see what you're looking at or what you have so it is necessary in many cases to provide detailed technical information to make it easier for us to provide you with explicit and specific solutions without having to waste to much time going back and forth trying to get enough information from you to provide you with this valuable free resource of forum based unofficial technical support. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

and with that help I DO see the fies, thank you. I have 3 of them. Should I post it?

Yes archive them and attach to a reply post however it would also help if you'd use the "Collect Support Information" command on the VMware Fusion Help menu to gather technical support information and attach the file(s) to a reply post.

0 Kudos
gordingin
Contributor
Contributor

thanks.. here are the files... I can only upload 3 files... will upload others in next post

0 Kudos
gordingin
Contributor
Contributor

the other 2... ( I had 4 logs files )

0 Kudos
gordingin
Contributor
Contributor

the "NOT_IMPLEMENTED" error I got this morning when I got on my PC so that happened during the night sometime. I have had the network issue for some time now. I reset the VM and it had network access again. I am connect via ethernet cable (gigabit) to a time capsule that is connected to the AT&T modem.

thanks

r

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have had the network issue for some time now. I reset the VM and it had network access again. I am connect via ethernet cable (gigabit) to a time capsule that is connected to the AT&T modem.

Do you or do you not have network connectivity in the Virtual Machine at the present time?

You said "I reset the VM and it had network access again." so are you saying you no longer are having a connectivity issue?

If you are still having a problem I see you have two Virtual Machines the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine's Network is set to Bridged and the Xcelsius Virtual Machine's Network is set to default NAT. So if one is working and the other isn't then if it's the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine try changing the Network from Bridged to NAT and be sure to release/renew the IP Address or just reboot the Virtual Machine after switching if you switch it while it's running. You may want to have a look at .

0 Kudos
gordingin
Contributor
Contributor

I DO have network connectivity but only because I shut down the VM session and started it again. (Sorry I needed it to do work) - So right now, it does work but it will fail in a while. So my temp solutions is just to restart the VM. I will take a look at that link... thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I DO have network connectivity but only because I shut down the VM session and started it again. (Sorry I needed it to do work) - So right now, it does work but it will fail in a while. So my temp solutions is just to restart the VM. I will take a look at that link... thanks

If you're loosing network connectivity after running for a while you may want to take a look at:

Also have a look at:

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Hi gordingin,

Sorry to hear you're running into trouble.

I see you're running Time Machine backups on this system. Can you try temporarily disabling Time Machine to see if your problems go away? We've seen lots of problems caused by Time Machine bugs in the past.

Also, do you happen to be running a virus scanner on this system as well?

It looks like you've already run and shut down the affected virtual machine more than 4 times since the NOT_IMPLEMENTED hit. Unfortunately, that means the log files we need from that run are gone.

Can you look in the folder /var/log and see if there are any files starting with "system"? Your support log included system.log, but it indicated that there's an older log file on your system that might have some information we need.

0 Kudos
joatamon
Contributor
Contributor

I wouldn't be one of them.

I've run Parallels on my MacBook Pro for a year and a half with excellent results. I had a couple of minor glitches when upgrading to version 3, but I quickly got an answer. Whenever I contacted Parallels support I soon got an answer from someone who had actually read and understood my original question. Far too many first line support people will just cut and paste some boilerplate in order to keep their response time statistics looking good, but I didn't encounter that with Parallels support. I haven't used them in 6 months or more, so maybe they've gone to hell since then. It happens in this business.

When I got my Mac Pro, I decided to give VMware a try because of the favorable comments I'd read about it. I wasn't disappointed. It seemed faster and more stable than Parallels, though not as "feature rich". It isn't missing any features I can't live without. Getting rid of my old Dell desktop was a true pleasure.

The only concern I had was that I couldn't find any way to get support except via the forums unless I was willing to pay for it. I have no problem paying for training and features (or for my own ignorance or stupidity), but it seems a bit unfair to me to have to pay a vendor to find their own bugs, but maybe that's just me...

Anyhow, now we've got 2.0 (OK, I also tried to upgrade to 2.0.1 with no improvement). My VMs are almost useless. Parallels is looking better and better.

0 Kudos
gordingin
Contributor
Contributor

Ok it just happened again, here are the log files. I didn't have a chance to shut down Time Machine before this happend but I did the crash in the log files. I will shut TM down now..

thanks

Ralph

0 Kudos
gordingin
Contributor
Contributor

Just in case it is different I also did another collection file.. here is that file.

thx

r

0 Kudos
Suthnautr
Contributor
Contributor

I would expect answers, real answers. I work for an office and I perform IT support. One of the office managers bought a Mac against my advice, and can only run his eClinicalworks software on windows Vista Office or XP Pro. I advised him to get Parallels, but again, he didn't take my advice and got VMWare Fusion 2 instead.

After installing Fusion 2 he installed windows - then he installed MS Office for Mac (why he didn't just install office on the virtual Windows machine I have NO idea)

I expect to get an answer from the knowledge base on getting Internet Explorer in Windows to work. I expect to get an answer as to how to find his network drives in Windows XP. He already paid for it - and tech support via telephone says we don't have that support - only email support and only free for 30 days.

What do you expect for $80? Well, let's see - Hostmonster.com my hosting company costs me less than $80 a year for unlimited voice, email & live chat support, 24 / 7 / 365. They don't just copy a bazillion copies of disks and sell them, they actually have to be there on staff all day working on servers, upgrading systems, making scheduled hardware upgrades and changes - monitoring systems etc. How do THEY do it for so little with so many working, hosting close to a half a billion sites? VMWare only has programmers working, making versions of software and then sending out disk copies to all major outlets.

I searched the product support database and asked two questions: Install IE and Configure Network Neighborhood - no answers for XP using VMWare Fusion 2. that sucks.

0 Kudos