VMware Communities
setotitan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SOLVED: Why Does Fusion 6 Show A Duplicate VM?

I had 2 VM's before I upgraded to Fusion 6, when I was on Fusion 5 it just displayed both of them as it should. However after the upgrade I see an extra "Windows 8". When I'm logged into the VM if I click "Windows 8" or "Windows 8 x64" they both pull up the same preview. I'm wondering if they're linked somehow? Just for clarity I want to consolidate it down to one VM, especially since it is one VM. On top of that I don't understand the little lock icon on the "Windows 8 x64" either, it never goes away. Can someone help me merge the two somehow?

http://i.imgur.com/rdHGXV7.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looking at ~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmInventory file it shows that the "Windows 8" and the "Windows 8 x64" entries in the Virtual Machine Library are the same based on location and UUID.  What's interesting is the "Windows 7 Ultimate x64" Virtual Machine while showing located at ~/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/ (the .localized extension is hidden by default) in the vmInventory nonetheless is doesn't exist according to the output of the ls command on the ~/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/ folder and no support information was collected for it.

Anyway I'm not sure why the "Windows 8" and the "Windows 8 x64" entries exist for the same VM however since the support information collected is for the "Windows 8 x64" entry I say it was safe to delete the "Windows 8" entry from the Virtual Machine Library although to play it safe click Keep File on the Remove Virtual Machine sheet.

Also I see that the Virtual Machine is using the builtin encryption and personally I wouldn't use it unless your trying to manage particular features and instead use a Commercial WDE product.  Either way make absolutely sure you keep proper backups especially of the .vmx configuration file if using VMware Fusion builtin encryption because if that file gets damages, which happens, it will need to be replaced with a current valid backup otherwise you loose any recoverable access to the encrypted virtual hard disk! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Note: Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button!

setotitan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's the ZIP file you requested, thanks for the help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looking at ~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmInventory file it shows that the "Windows 8" and the "Windows 8 x64" entries in the Virtual Machine Library are the same based on location and UUID.  What's interesting is the "Windows 7 Ultimate x64" Virtual Machine while showing located at ~/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/ (the .localized extension is hidden by default) in the vmInventory nonetheless is doesn't exist according to the output of the ls command on the ~/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/ folder and no support information was collected for it.

Anyway I'm not sure why the "Windows 8" and the "Windows 8 x64" entries exist for the same VM however since the support information collected is for the "Windows 8 x64" entry I say it was safe to delete the "Windows 8" entry from the Virtual Machine Library although to play it safe click Keep File on the Remove Virtual Machine sheet.

Also I see that the Virtual Machine is using the builtin encryption and personally I wouldn't use it unless your trying to manage particular features and instead use a Commercial WDE product.  Either way make absolutely sure you keep proper backups especially of the .vmx configuration file if using VMware Fusion builtin encryption because if that file gets damages, which happens, it will need to be replaced with a current valid backup otherwise you loose any recoverable access to the encrypted virtual hard disk! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
setotitan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ thank you for the STELLAR response! The past few times I've got really lack luster replies on this forum. But man I LOVE when I get all this information it really helps. I know you're doing this for free and I really appreciate the extra info about encryption.

Last thing though, what is that little lock looking icon on the the "Windows 8 64x" label?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're welcome! Smiley Wink and the lock denotes it's encrypted.

havema1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just upgraded VMware fusion 4.1.4 to 6.0.1 (used on OS X 10.6 - 10.8).

After the update all VMs showed a duplicate (see attached pic). Both Windows 7 entries opened OK so this was just cosmetic.

Deleting the VMs (the real one went to trash) and then moving it back (to Users/Shared) and opening the VM brought the duplicate back.

But this detour to another folder fixed it: I deleted the VMs, moved it (Windows 7.vmwarevm) from the trash to ~/Documents, opened it, trashed it, moved back to Users/Shared, opened it.vmware61duplicates.jpg

0 Kudos