VMware Communities
garyemery
Contributor
Contributor

Running Windows 10 Bootcamp in macOS 10.14 Mojave using VMware Fusion 10.1.3

Basically, does running Windows 10 Bootcamp in macOS 10.14 Mojave using VMware Fusion 10.1.3 work?

I'm holding off upgrading to Mojave because last year when I upgraded to macOS High Sierra my Windows 10 bootcamp installation stopped working on VMware Fusion 8.5. I had to upgrade to VMware Fusion 10 to get it to work.

Doing a general Google search, as with last year, has not given me any concrete answers. This year, as with last year, anyone in my office that I've asked who is running Fusion 10.1.3 with a Windows 10 VM has confirmed that it still works after the upgrade to Mojave - but they're not using Bootcamp.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Officially, only Fusion 11 (which released today) is compatible with Mac OS Mojave. If it "works" (however that's defined) it isn't supported.

0 Kudos
Edo4rdo
Contributor
Contributor

From what I read I don't see any great improvement in Fusion 11 that would justify the purchase of an upgrade from 10 to 11.

And Fusion 10 *SHOULD* definitely be supported with any necessary patch delivered with the same or higher priority they have in releasing Fusion 11.

Also, there should be a clear statement somewhere as to whether there are any issues with Mojave and Fusion 10 with any configuration.

All this is true, unless it is more important to expect money from users with nothing or very little in return   ‍♂️.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Well, you can expect them to work for free if you want, but VMWare is a for-profit company.  Having them make the necessary changes to support Mojave in Fusion 10 would be exactly that.

Mojave uses a new boot system and has changed APFS to include support for physical drives (among many other changes).  Fusion 10 may work, but it's not supported and there are known issues.  Most importantly it will not necessarily get security fixes going forward.  I was a bit disappointed at the upgrade pricing this go around ($40 discount seems a bit low on the pro edition), but there really isn't any choice if you want to stay supported and current.

0 Kudos