VMware Communities
dw1949
Contributor
Contributor

Running Win95 in Fusion

I have managed to get Win95 running in the evaluation copy of Fusion I recently downloaded. However, it is crippled because the VMWare Tools service refuses to run. I get an error dialog titled, "Error Starting Program", with the message:

The VMWARESERVICE.EXE file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:IsDebuggerPresent.

A brief google search implies that the executable has been created with a dependency on something that does not exist in Win95.

Does a fix exist?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dw1949
Contributor
Contributor

I found in the Release Notes (Version 1.0, Build 51348), Known Issues, this:

"The VMware Tools applications VMwareService.exe and VMwareUser.exe do not work in virtual machines running Windows 95."

So far, it appears that the SVGA doesn't work (I get 16 colors and low resolution, despite Windows saying the driver is installed and working), and I haven't gotten networking or sound to work either. The tools may be required to resolve these problems.

It appears that there is no point in going further. It seems a stretch that Windows 95 is claimed to be a supported guest OS.

0 Kudos
q-pa
Contributor
Contributor

After reading somewhere on the VMware site about how it emulates a Creative Ensoniq soundcard, I eventually tracked down drivers for that via a Google search and installed them.

The sound was now working Smiley Happy, but the MIDI had a hissing sound under it...

I solved that problem by installing the Yamaha virtual instruments included as part of the Final Fantasy VII game installer.

0 Kudos