VMware Communities
kior22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running VMWare Fusion 6 on Mac OS X Yosemite Beta

Hi,

I would like to know if VMWare Fusion 6 will work on the Mac OS X Yosemite Beta that apple has just released. I use the VMWare for work so I can't afford upgrading to the Beta and not having Fusion working.

Thanks!

Regards,

Sebastian

85 Replies
junklight
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So 6.04 does indeed work on latest Yosemite DP BUT seems very clunky (pretty much unusably so )

Looking at activity monitor I can't quite tell if this is because Yosemite is using all the memory and VMware is struggling somehow or if VMware has an issue other than that

Running Ubuntu 13.04 in the vm

Not spending any time on this now - running a VM on this machine is only a 'nice to have' - I'll try the next release combination (Yosemite/vmware) but just reporting findings for now......

looking a couple of posts up - lack of responsiveness is the issue I'm seeing too so I  wonder if it isn't memory but a keyboard driver kind of issue - I know they are changing that in Yosemite

0 Kudos
smockle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VMware Technology Preview from July 2014 ( VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2014 ) was much less laggy than version 6.0.4 for me.

0 Kudos
TheWilbur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Folks,

I just want to mention that I'm running OSX Yosemite Developer Preview 3 and Fusion Technology Preview July 2014.

So far everything seems to work well. My Bootcamp partition booted fine and seems responsive, even with the extra debugging enabled in both OSX and the Tech Preview.

This is running on my Macbook Air. For those interested, here are it's specs:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor     2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory     8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics     Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Disk          500Gb Flash

Guest OS:     Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

I don't use any stressful applications or do any development, so others experience may vary, but I'm pretty happy with how things are working.

-Wilbur

0 Kudos
Scozzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I have the same problem as smockle. Ubuntu 14.04 in a Fusion 6.0.4 VM on Yosemite. Typing is very laggy and seems to be updated on screen by moving the mouse. Quite a strange problem by all accounts. If i keep the mouse moving, the text is quite fluid but stop moving the mouse and at stops showing the text input anywhere near as quickly.

The developer preview also freezes randomly with my (or a new) ubuntu 14.04 VM.

Quite annoying really as I depend on fusion and its the only thing stopping me running Yosemite.

0 Kudos
mikegrad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all, im in the same boat - took the yosemite beta and now 6.03 doesn't work. Ive tried parallels but my vm fails to convert. It seems the 2014 tech preview is the way for me to go at the moment, as 6.0.4 isnt stable. However, my question is if i take the tech preview and convert my existing VM, will that prevent me from going back to 6.04 on Mavericks if i need to?

UPDATE- i was finall able to get vmware converted for parallels, and i also installed 6.0.4. Both seem to be running fine with no lags or other issues, for the time being.

thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No, you can go back - just downgrade the compatibility.  The VM will need to be shut down (not suspended) and snapshots removed.

0 Kudos