VMware Communities
kior22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running VMWare Fusion 6 on Mac OS X Yosemite Beta

Hi,

I would like to know if VMWare Fusion 6 will work on the Mac OS X Yosemite Beta that apple has just released. I use the VMWare for work so I can't afford upgrading to the Beta and not having Fusion working.

Thanks!

Regards,

Sebastian

85 Replies
Hasan_Rahman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No worries, thanks for the try.

Hasan

0 Kudos
elit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Darius,

We all hope that VMware will release soon a new Fusion 7 update for Yosemite 🙂 

Many of us are using Fusion on macosx to run VMs. And Yosemite seems to be great. Even you at VMware are using mac all over the world.

0 Kudos
KennethAdamsCom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I wrote a blog article about testing Yosemite and VMware Fusion where I detail out the steps you can take to install Mac OS X Yosemite betas in virtual machines in VMware Fusion and on partitions, my testing results, recommendations on high performance USB 3 flash drives, backups with Time Machine and more.  I hope you find it useful and share any discoveries and insights that you have.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Great article! :smileycool: Smiley Happy

Personally, for the "native boot" Yosemite part, I used a 64 GB Kingston DataTraveler Workspace Windows To Go drive (SandForce-driven, too).

BTW, do you know if the Mushkin Ventura Ultra is certified for Windows To Go?

Anyway, it looks like a very interesting option for running OSes - both natively and via VMs - off of it...

0 Kudos
elit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great article 🙂 Good alternate solution to run Yosemite in Fusion.

But the main issue is still not solved by VMware : running Fusion 7 (or Tech Preview) inside MacOSX 10.10 Yosemite.

Personnaly i don't want to rollback to Mavericks because i really enjoy this Yosemite beta version (so nice graphics and evolutions with iOS 8).

I found an alternative solution to run my Windows 8.1 VM inside Yosemite. I tried the latest Parallels Desktop version for mac and sorry for VMware but the VMs just run perfectly on Yosemite... Even better with Retina resolution on Windows 8.1 VM than Fusion 6.03 / Mavericks.

VMware Fusion Team please look at Parallels Desktop with a Windows 8.1 VM graphics, text policy and resolution on a retina display : just perfect...

I really hope that Fusion 7 on Yosemite will look like that 🙂

0 Kudos
mmaciukiewicz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will someone try if this bug still exists with the yosemite DP 2?

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You'll need to wait for an update to VMware Fusion before it will work.  An Apple update cannot fix this.

--

Darius

0 Kudos
mmaciukiewicz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

since vm isn't able to deliver as for now - I'm just looking for miracle Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
walter25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am still seeing the same issue with beta 2. 06/17/14 9:26:42 PM

0 Kudos
Biweek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here ...

0 Kudos
mmaciukiewicz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I already downgraded my mac to the maverick  but can someone checkout this fix:

http://tiny.cc/vsd5hx

After all it's an alternative and allow to wait for the proper fix from the VM team.

0 Kudos
GarySDay
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This would be an alternative if you were using Parallels instead of VMWare Fusion Smiley Happy This has nothing to do with the issue from VMWare; Apple changed the Kernel Symbols for 10.10 and clearly this impact VMWare; I know they're working on releasing a compatible version.. Just hold tight like the rest of us !

0 Kudos
mmaciukiewicz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

C'mon I know that this aren't related cases. But we all are waiting over two weeks without information. This approach is some kind of workaround. I'm wondering if the parallels works with this switch under yosemite. When (not if Smiley Happy ) the VM team deliver new update I will switch with a smile on my face.

0 Kudos
mmaciukiewicz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm sold to parallels - this fix works, tried to transfer my windows vm, now it's time for redhat. Now I've 13 days to decide to buy or not the parallels license.

0 Kudos
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try the VMware Fusion 6.0.4 update that was released today.

Note: we can't guarantee full compatibility with Yosemite since it's still a pre-release version. Do not run it on mission-critical systems or store important data without backups.

mmaciukiewicz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

works like a charm Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Hasan_Rahman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

6.0.4 works!!! Thanks

Hasan

0 Kudos
Biweek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved with 6.0.4 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
smockle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

6.0.4 works here too. I'm running Windows 8.1 in Yosemite Preview 2. Typing is very laggy in Windows--it wasn't laggy at all under Mavericks. Anyone else experiencing this?

0 Kudos
WDitters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

6.0.4 works indeed under Yosemite 10.10 DP2, but is anyone also experiencing strange full screen behaviour of windows 7 clients? Vertical resolutions not being displayed properly and odd resolutions in the list? For example I have two Lenovo 2560x1080 screens, but only 2560x1920, 2560x1600, 2560x1097 and 2560x1003 available ... Under Mavericks it would automatically size at the correct resolution 2560x1080 ... Since on my rMBP 13" panel the resolution now suddenly defaults to 1280x817, I guess somehow 17 pixels are added to the standard vertical resolutions .... How odd ...

0 Kudos