VMware Communities
PrismaticKen
Contributor
Contributor

Running Fusion Machine in Bootcamp

So i've been a busy man lately, and I've noticed that while Fusion 2 runs many 3D applications with admirable tenacitiy and performance, they still run better in native windows. This means I use bootcamp to get into windows and from there get my performance on. However, I wonder if for the sake of academic curiousity, would it be possible to run my Fusion Virtual Machines from the Windows Vmware Player? Does any VMware windows software play VMs created by Fusion?

thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion 2 VMs are compatible with Workstation 6.5 & Player 2.5. So installing either in the Boot Camp Windows, you can run your existing VMs. The catch is storing the VMs in a location where it can be accessed fully by either OS. Normally this will be a FAT32 partition or drive unless you install something like 3G-NTFS to allow OSX to write to NTFS partitions.

PrismaticKen
Contributor
Contributor

Very cool, thanks for the info, I'm testing them now. (and I have MacDrive installed so I'm all set)

Edit::

I've tried to run any of my three Fusion VMs and they all report various error messages and none of them boot.

Two of them, it's pretty clear it's my fault, I set them up to allocate all their various junks into one file, so one is 5GB, the other is closer to 7GB.

The last one was installed via VMware standard intall protocol for Windows Server 2000. So whatever it is VMware Fusion likes to do to install that, I let it go right ahead and make itself happy.

I think this means it's split up into 2GB chunks, IDE (maybe?) etc etc etc, so if it's made entirely by VMware Fusion, I assumed it'd work right out of the box.

This one gave me an error message unlike the other two. It reads:

Unable to open kernel device "
.\vmci": The system cannot find the file specified. Did you reboot after installing VMware Player?

Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.

Also, take into account, I'm in Bootcamp, running Windows XP pro SP, VMware Player 2.5, reading my OS X partition through MacDrive software.

Is there a step I missed or something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

0 Kudos