VMware Communities
HarryF43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running From a Bootcamp Partition vs Virtual Disk

Is there any benefit to running Windows 7 from a Bootcamp partition vs. a virtual disk image? 

I started using a virtual disk image and have just created a Bootcamp partition and added it to Fusion.  Things seem to be quite a bit speedier using the Bootcamp partition.

Is this the case in general?  Just curious as to what others have experienced.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you are experiencing is normal.  Realize that a virtual machine is running "virtual hardware", which is usually not as fast as running the OS directly on the physical hardware.  Think of it like speaking through a translator.  There is a "delay" for the message to be delivered. Take a look at Frequently Asked Questions about VMware Fusion, about halfway down, the section on virtual hardware.

For Boot Camp versus virtual, take a look at Choosing the Right Virtual Machine Settings.  Some of the main reasons for using one or the other would be the speed advantage of Boot Camp versus the convinience of not having to reboot the Mac or the ability to run multiple simultaneous virtual machines versus only running one instance of Boot Camp.  (e.g.: simulate an entire network, with file server, web server, mail server, etc. with just one physical machine.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you are experiencing is normal.  Realize that a virtual machine is running "virtual hardware", which is usually not as fast as running the OS directly on the physical hardware.  Think of it like speaking through a translator.  There is a "delay" for the message to be delivered. Take a look at Frequently Asked Questions about VMware Fusion, about halfway down, the section on virtual hardware.

For Boot Camp versus virtual, take a look at Choosing the Right Virtual Machine Settings.  Some of the main reasons for using one or the other would be the speed advantage of Boot Camp versus the convinience of not having to reboot the Mac or the ability to run multiple simultaneous virtual machines versus only running one instance of Boot Camp.  (e.g.: simulate an entire network, with file server, web server, mail server, etc. with just one physical machine.)

0 Kudos
HarryF43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks you!

Another question.....which may be answered in the document.....is it necessary to install Apple's Bootcamp drivers and software when using the Bootcamp physical partition?

Things that needed drivers in past permutations of Bootcamp seem to be operating properly without them.  It is more than likely necessary to do so if I plan on starting up directly from the Windows partition.  Even doing that, devices appear normal.

It seems to me that Win 7 seems to update the drivers properly without external software.  I've seen this on my wife's Windows only pc as well....with other hardware.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Another question.....which may be answered in the document.....is it necessary to install Apple's Bootcamp drivers and software when using the Bootcamp physical partition?

If you ever will run Boot Camp non-virtual, of course, you will want to install the Boot Camp drivers.  If you run the Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine, then Windows will "see" different virtual hardware, which means that you'll need to install different drivers.  Windows may find "good enough" drivers, but usually you would install VMware Tools to get the drivers specific to the virtual hardware as well as support other features of VMware virtual machines.  (e.g.: better support for mouse.)  Some things like the built-in iSight camera need the Boot Camp drivers regardless of whether you run the partition as a physical or virtual machine because it's not "virtual hardware".  So the use of the iSight camera would need the Boot Camp drivers regardless of whether you run the Boot Camp partition as physical or virtual or even if it was a purely virtual machine (a.k.a. not using the Boot Camp partition.)

HarryF43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can see that the iSight will only operate with Apple's drivers installed.  Other than that, everything seems to work properly.....even booted into Bootcamp directly.

I did install the drivers as I believe that going to pure Bootcamp, Apple will supply better video, network and other drivers than Win 7 will find.  I haven't booted into Bootcamp directly since I've set up the partition for use with Fusion.  I'm sure everything will work properly.

Thanks for the helpful info!

0 Kudos