VMware Communities
mrudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Running ESX as VM ?

One thing I am missing is the possibility to run an ESX as virtual server ... simply to show the whole installation process in a classroom on a projector.

Did someone try to install ESX on Fusion ? I currently don't have my CDs here otherwise I would have tried that already. Unfortunately it does not work on other Windows based VMWare versions or even Microsoft products.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

One thing I am missing is the possibility to run an

ESX as virtual server ... simply to show the whole

installation process in a classroom on a projector.

Did someone try to install ESX on Fusion ? I

currently don't have my CDs here otherwise I would

have tried that already. Unfortunately it does not

work on other Windows based VMWare versions or even

Microsoft products.

If it doesn't work on WS, I wouldn't be too optimistic about it working in Fusion (with the exception of Unity, of course). That said, people have installed ESX in WS (google for instructions), so I wouldn't be surprised if it works.

0 Kudos
mrudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
ilatimer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just to update this if anyone is interested. ESX does install and run under fusion with the proper modifications to the VM's .vmx file (same modifications that you make for Workstation 6).

0 Kudos
chetbliss
Contributor
Contributor

It definitely works. I am running ESX 3.0.2 on a 17” Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM.

I followed the xtravirt guide: http://www.xtravirt.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=75&func=fileinfo&id=11

I had to change the SCSI controller to LSI Logic in the vmx.

Scsi0.virtualDev = “lsilogic”

0 Kudos
MayurPatel
Expert
Expert

Which product did you use Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac or Fusion?

0 Kudos
MayurPatel
Expert
Expert

Which product did you use on your MacBook to make ESX run in a VM. Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac or Fusion?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Given that these are the Fusion forums, I think you have an answer :). Another link for ESX-on-Fusion is Running ESX 3i Beta in VMware Fusion

0 Kudos
Rentradio
Contributor
Contributor

But what about connectivity to VirtualCenter? I just tried some VI3 VM's from Workstation 6. (ESX 3.02 and VC 2.01 IP connectivity but no connection in VirtualCenter. I Restarted the service, rebooted, etc ??

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Your question is off-topic for VMware Fusion on OS X. You will have better luck asking in the VirtualCenter or VI3 forums.

0 Kudos
MayurPatel
Expert
Expert

Hi, I did eventually get a Macbook Pro and Fusion 1.0 and got couple of VI3 VM's, a OpenFiler and Virtual Centre VM configured and everything worked perfectly under mac OS Tiger.

I just upgraded to Leopard and tested the Fusion to see if the VI3 VM's still continue to work. I have found the VC and Openfiler VM's are working fine but the VI3 VM's have a problem with the NIC's. Fusion complains when the VI3 e1000 NIC gets initialised and the message says that the VM's OS has attempted to enable promiscuous mode on the virtual adapters and that it is not allowed for security reasons.

I didn't used to get the problem in Tiger.

As a result the VI3 console networking breaks. Has anyone had a smilar problem.

MP

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion complains when the VI3 e1000 NIC gets initialised and the message says that the VM's OS has attempted to enable promiscuous mode on the virtual adapters and that it is not allowed for security reasons.

I didn't used to get the problem in Tiger.

0 Kudos
MayurPatel
Expert
Expert

Hi Etung, many thanks for your instant reply. I must have missed the post you pointed me to when I searched.

I will give it a go and report back if it has solved the problem with my ESX VM's in Fusion.

MP

0 Kudos
13erla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

running fusion as root resolves the networking issue.

but how did you boot up VMs inside of esx on fusion?

i'm running esx 3i. and when i attempt to boot a VM i get the error "can not power on a vm in a vm"

any thoughts?

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your question is answered in the links posted in the third post in this topic Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Your configuration file for the outer VM needs to have the following settings:

monitor_control.vt32 = TRUE

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = TRUE

0 Kudos
13erla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok fixed my vmx

so now when i power on i get this out of my fusion VM

vcpu-1:ASSERT vmcore/private/physMem_shared.h:38 bugNr=131897

Please report this problem by selecting menu item Help > VMware on the Web > Request Support, or by going to the Web page "http://www.vmware.com/info?id=8&logFile=%2fVolumes%2f500g%2fESX%2fESX3i%2d1%2evmwarevm%2fvmware%2elog&coreLocation=%2fVolumes%2f500g%2fESX%2fESX3i%2d1%2evmwarevm%2fvmware%2dcore%5b0%2d1%5d%2egz". Please provide us with the log file (/Volumes/500g/ESX/ESX3i-1.vmwarevm/vmware.log) and the core file (/Volumes/500g/ESX/ESX3i-1.vmwarevm/vmware-core[0-1].gz).

If the problem is repeatable, please set 'Logging level' to 'Debug' in the 'Misc' panel of Virtual Machine Settings. Then reproduce the incident and file it according to the instructions.

To collect files to submit to VMware support, run "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool".

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

We appreciate your feedback,

-- the VMware Fusion team.

my specs:

mac pro dual 2.66 6gb memory

leopard 10.5.1

fusion 1.1

esx 3i

iscsi (on a separate physical windows box.

vms are brand new no os installed yet

0 Kudos
MayurPatel
Expert
Expert

I haven't been able to test VI3i yet in Fusion because I have not been able to get hold of the Preview VI3i USB Stick image which was given out at VMworld 2007.

I could do with getting hold of the VI3i ISO image if someone can make it available to me.

Thanks

MP

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

@

@

As you can probably guess running ESX Server or 3i in a VM is not supported. To be honest the trade show USB key was a nice touch but it can't be used for real test/development. Asking someone here in a public forum for a dd image or ISO of the product would violate the license and expose that person to unneeded liability.

Depending on your relationship with VMware you should inquire about any preview or beta programs the company has with respect to upcoming versions of ESX. Through a formal program, you could get access to support channels, documentation and newer builds.

If you're just "playing" with 3i (using the term lightly), well then, carry on.

0 Kudos