VMware Communities
Robbo007
Contributor
Contributor

Runing older games in fullscreen no letterbox

Hello all,

I have Fusion Beta 3 and Windows XP on my MacBookPro.

I want to run some older Sierra games like SQ6 etc but can't seem how to get a proper full screen and no letterbox style.

The problem is the resolution, from what I have seen Fusion does not like lower resolutions and if I try and run a game its only run in fullscreen letterbox, does not change the screens resolution to match game.

Any ideas?

I have to revert to boot camp to enjoy the correct resolution.

Rob

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The problem is the resolution, from what I have seen Fusion does not like lower resolutions and if I try and run a game its only run in fullscreen letterbox, does not change the screens resolution to match game.

Beta 3 does not have this ability. The developers are aware of this request (e.g. change the resolution to match the guest).

0 Kudos
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You could change the resolution on your host before starting Fusion. Yea, kludgy as can be, but it should work for games that run at 640x480 vesa mode. I am interested in which games you are running, could you provide a list? Thanks!

0 Kudos
jeliker
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing this problem with the 1.0 release. I am running Windows XP SP2 with a 640x480 (8 bit) game. Here's the rub: when I launch the VM, switch to fullscreen on my Macbook Pro 17" 2.16 GHz CoreDuo, the game is full screen (no letterbox). When I give the same VM to a friend to try, he boots it on his identical hardware and it runs letterbox. I also had another in the office on a Macbook Pro 15" 2.16 GHz Core2Duo and he sees letterbox as well. I don't understand it. Oh, the letterboxing occurs on internal display or external monitor. Help!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a really old thread. When you say "letterbox", do you actually mean windowboxed[/i] (e.g. unscaled, black borders around it) or do you mean the aspect ratio is incorrect? If the former, you probably changed pref.autoFitFullScreen (which is not set by default) on your machine.

0 Kudos
jeliker
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I saw it was old but it was the only related item I could find. The problem I'm describing (and I think the original poster of this topic was describing) is windowboxed[/i] as you say. The aspect ratio is fine. I will check that pref.autoFillFullScreen parameter. I assume it's a true/false? What is strange is that I took my external HD with the VM on it to the other machines I mention and they did not fill the screen whereas my computer does. In that case, the parameter pref.autoFillFullScreen is the same on all three machines regardless of what it is actually set to but the VM is responding differently.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It's not a true/false, and more importantly, this parameter is in ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences, so it's not carried along with the virtual machine. Search the forums for the correct value to set this parameter to.

0 Kudos
jeliker
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome! That did it. Thanks for your help. I added pref.autoFitFullScreen = "fitHostToGuest"[/b] to my preferences file and everything looks good.

0 Kudos