VMware Communities
mikepolinske
Contributor
Contributor

Run OS X 10.9 from a separate partition in a VM?

I've installed OS X 10.9 Mavericks on an external hard drive and I'd like to add that as a guest to my VMware Fusion 5 running on OS X 10.8.4.

How do I add it as a new VM?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

First create a normal Mac OS X 10.8 64-bit Virtual Machine without installing the OS.

Then use "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator" to create a meta-data .vmdk (virtual hard disk) pointing to the external hard drive.

Then manually swap out the empty virtual hard disk in the Mac OS X 10.8 64-bit Virtual Machine created earlier for the one created with vmware-rawdiskCreator and edit the .vmx configuration file to reflect the change.

Also while editing the .vmx configuration file add the following option to it as well.

suspend.disabled = "TRUE"

Also note that in addition to not suspending, which the above option does, one also should not take Snapshots (or use AutoProtect) with physical disks! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mikepolinske
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to create the raw disk, but got the following result:

unknown20c9d045826f:Library mike$ sudo vmware-rawdiskCreator print "/dev/disk3"

Nr      Start       Size Type Id Sytem                  

-- ---------- ---------- ---- -- ------------------------

1          1 3906963455 BIOS EE Unknown

unknown20c9d045826f:Library mike$ sudo vmware-rawdiskCreator create "/dev/disk3" "1" "~/Documents/Virtual\ Machines/My\ Raw\ Disk" lsilogic

Unable to copy the source files to the destination files.

unknown20c9d045826f:Library mike$

How I determined it was /dev/disk3 is that when I right click on the partition I want to use in Path Finder and select "Get Info", it shows /dev/disk3s2" for the device.

Here is what is in my Virtual Machines folder:

cd /Users/mike/Documents/Virtual\ Machines.localized

Last login: Wed Jun 26 23:04:31 on ttys001

unknown20c9d045826f:~ mike$ cd /Users/mike/Documents/Virtual\ Machines.localized

unknown20c9d045826f:Virtual Machines.localized mike$ ls

Mac OS X 10.9 64-bit.vmwarevm           Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm

Spinrite.vmwarevm

unknown20c9d045826f:Virtual Machines.localized mike$ ls -a

.                                       Mac OS X 10.9 64-bit.vmwarevm

..                                      Spinrite.vmwarevm

.DS_Store                               Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm

.localized

unknown20c9d045826f:Virtual Machines.localized mike$ ls -l

total 0

drwxr-xr-x@ 31 mike  staff  1054 Jun 26 22:48 Mac OS X 10.9 64-bit.vmwarevm

drwxr-xr-x@ 16 mike  staff   544 Mar 21 21:05 Spinrite.vmwarevm

drwxr-xr-x@ 37 mike  staff  1258 Jun 26 10:32 Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm

Any other help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

unknown20c9d045826f:Library mike$ sudo vmware-rawdiskCreator create "/dev/disk3" "1" "~/Documents/Virtual\ Machines/My\ Raw\ Disk" lsilogic

Unable to copy the source files to the destination files.

unknown20c9d045826f:Library mike$

Either quote an argument that has spaces in it or escape it with a backslash but not both.

Whenever possible I like to subscribe to the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method of doing things! Smiley Wink

I just tested this using a USB Flash Drive that has OS X 10.8 installed on it and here is what I did.

Created an empty "Mac OS X 10.8 64-bit" Virtual Machine and then closed VMware Fusion.

The USB Flash Drive is "/dev/disk2" at the moment as I have another external device using "/dev/disk1" and "/dev/disk0" is the internal SSD.

Since I use several programs on a regular basis found in "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/" it is in my $PATH so I do not need to type other then the programs name in the Terminal.

So I open Terminal and it's opens to my Home Directory and I issue the following command, as is and without quoting any of the arguments as it's not necessary unless <virtDiskPath> has spaces in it or escape it with backslashes:

vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk2 fullDevice HFSPlus lsilogic

Also note that I use fullDevice not <partNums> in the command line.

This creates an individual file named "HFSPlus.vmdk" in my Home Directory which I moved into the "Mac OS X 10.8 64-bit.vmwarevm" Virtual Machine Package via Finder.  (BTW The name HFSPlus was arbitrary as it's formatted HFS+ and had to use something for the example/test.)

I open the "Mac OS X 10.8 64-bit.vmx" configuration file in TextEdit.app and change scsi0:0.fileName = "Virtual Disk.vmdk" to scsi0:0.fileName = "HFSPlus.vmdk" and add scsi0:0.deviceType = "rawDisk" and suspend.disabled = "TRUE" to the .vmx file while I'm at it.  (Forgot to mention "rawDisk" option, sorry.) I save the .vmx file.

Next I started VMware Fusion and selected the "Mac OS X 10.8 64-bit" Virtual Machine in the Library and clicked the "Start Up" button.

It booted the USB Device as a "rawDisk" just fine in the Virtual Machine and I see no reason why this cannot also be done with Mac OS X 10.9.

0 Kudos
mikepolinske
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much!  That did the job.  I am replying to your message from the Mavericks VM under Mountain Lion.

0 Kudos