VMware Communities
tjrob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right Mouse Button on Mac Pro / Mighty Mouse

All other threads seem to say "enable mouse shortcuts in the preferences". Well, I did that and it only works ~10% of the time! That is, I do ctl-left-click or ctl-right-click and most of the time it is ignored; occasionally the Windows client responds with the usual menu for a right click.

HOW DO I FIX THIS? It seemed to be a bit better in the beta than in 1.0.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jfriesne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may be seeing a hardware "feature" of the Mighty Mouse. Specifically, if any of your fingers is touching the "left-mouse-button" area of the Mighty Mouse at the time your other finger touches the "right-mouse-button" area of the Mighty Mouse, your (intended) right-click will be interpreted as a left-click.

The only way around it is to be very careful that when you right-click the Mighty Mouse, none of your fingers are touching the left side of the mouse. (actually, the real fix is to get a different mouse... I won't use the Mighty Mouse for this reason)

0 Kudos
tjrob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you so much! I have been wondering if something like that was my problem. I have used Linux >10 years and UNIX >25 years, but this is my first Mac (<6 months). Even a feather-weight touch on the left side of the Mighty Mouse prevents a right click, but with my finger off it completely it will reliably do a right click.

So this is not a VMware issue at all, it's just that I noticed it most solidly with it.[/i]

0 Kudos