VMware Communities
JohnUK
Contributor
Contributor

Retina display in Windows 8.1

Hi

Apologies if this has been answered before  , simple question , I have Windows 8.1 installed  on a new iMac 27" with 5K retina display , the display is stunning using the Mac OS X yosemite software , however I can't seem to get a good quality display in Windows , does the VMWare Fusion not support retina displays in Windows 8.1 ?

If I tick the box in settings/display to "use full resolution for retina display" then I only get 3/4 of the display on  the screen with black vertical bands down each side ?

Using VMWare Fusion 7.1.0

Any help would be appreciated

Many Thanks

John

0 Kudos
15 Replies
khe91
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the same problem on a Mac Pro 2013 with Asus 4K display.

"Use full resolution for retina display" is enabled, but Fusion 7.1.0. don't uses the full 3840x2160. Black on left and right sides.

How to use a scaled resolution on OS X, but full 3840x2160 in Fusion fullscreen ?

Thanks,

Karsten

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi JohnUK,

Thx for using Fusion.

Could you pls let us know which kind of view mode do you use when you encounter the problem? Single window/Full screen or Unity? Does the problem be consistently reproduced?

And the area where you mentioned as "black vertical band", can you move the window of application inside VM over that area?

If you can help taking a snapshot of the problem, that could help us understanding the problem greatly.

Thx a lot for your effort in advance.

0 Kudos
JohnUK
Contributor
Contributor

The display resolution in Windows 8.1  is 2560 x 1920 and it pin sharp  , albeit the icons are very small compared to normal.

If I change it to 1920 x 1080 I get a full screen but the image is a little blurred , nothing like the MAC display image quality.

desktop image attached,

Regards

John

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi JohnUK,

Sorry for the late response, we've just got new iMac with 5k display, and can reproduce the problem you encountered. An internal bug has already opened for the problem, will let you know if there's any update.

0 Kudos
TigerT007
Contributor
Contributor

I have a new iMac 5K and I have the same problem. Max resolution on guest in Fullscreen is 2560-by-1440. I would like it to support the full resolution of 5120‑by‑2880

Thanks

0 Kudos
AKABK
Contributor
Contributor

@TigerT007 - have you had an opportunity to install 7.1.1? I would interested in knowing if that resolved your issue. Thanks. VMware Fusion 7.1.1 Release Notes

0 Kudos
TigerT007
Contributor
Contributor

No still the same. Sorry.

Come on Vmware! Fix this issue!

0 Kudos
steve23094
Contributor
Contributor

Has this been fixed?  I don't have the option to select higher resolutions in Windows 8.1 when running fullscreen.  I'm about to uninstall Fusion because at this stage it's too much hassle.

0 Kudos
khe91
Contributor
Contributor

Not yet fixed with 7.1.1.

0 Kudos
flapjack1
Contributor
Contributor

After spending a week trying to convince me it does work, and hours today trying to make it to work,  I've finally had confirmation from VMWare that they need DirectX10 to get a 4K resolution out of Windows 8.1 let alone a 5K resolution.

There is also no date for this upgrade!

On a positive note I downloaded a trial of parallels and they already use DirectX10.

Windows 8.1 displays in 5K however its quite small in parts - I'll spend some time this weekend tinkering with it. Will have to use this until VMWare get their act together.

Really disappointed with VMWare - poor show!

0 Kudos
aced411
Contributor
Contributor

Parallels is very fast and smooth compared to Fusion, but I will warn you they have horrible customer service. 

0 Kudos
harritaco
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue, but with me I couldn't run VM's in 3840 x 2160 at all. If I went full screen the screen would just be black with a flicking cursor. The fix for me was to go to your vm settings > Display > Monitors > Max Resolution. There is a drop down that for me displays resolutions up to 2560 x 1600, but I just manually entered 3840 x 2160 and it worked fine. You should be able to enter in any other resolution supported by your display.

0 Kudos
TigerT007
Contributor
Contributor

There is no such settings in VMware Fusion 7.1.1

0 Kudos
flapjack1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm pleased to say this now works fine in Fusion 8.0 however I've been having an issue with black lines across my excel sheets which I'm monitoring. Also the display driver has crashed a few times forcing a reboot.

0 Kudos
flapjack1
Contributor
Contributor

I found their customer support okay but the product was nowhere near as smooth as fusion.

0 Kudos