VMware Communities
PGTips
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Retina VM OSX Resolution is Tiny - Can't Change

Hi,

I'm running OS X 10.12.4 and Fusion 8.5.6 on a 2016 Mac Book Pro Retina/Touchbar.

The VM is macOS 10.12 with VM Tools (uninstalled then) installed.

I want to run the VM macOS10.12 as Retina display, but when I do (using Settings...), the display resolution is absolutely tiny and I can see no way to set it to a useable size.

I tried the command line hack:

sudo '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/vmware-resolutionSet' 1920 1080

but then the display was fuzzy and no longer Retina quality.

I've attached an image to show my issue and grabs of my Preferences - I'm pretty sure they are set the way they should be.

Any idea how I can get normal Retina display for this OS?

Thanks,

Pat

MBP-Resolution-Issue.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 14.24.09.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 14.24.16.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In addition to enabling full resolution in the VM settings, you also need to run this command, in the guest's Terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

... and then reboot the guest: you should now be able to choose the pixel-doubled, HiDPI resolution in the guest.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In addition to enabling full resolution in the VM settings, you also need to run this command, in the guest's Terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

... and then reboot the guest: you should now be able to choose the pixel-doubled, HiDPI resolution in the guest.

PGTips
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SvenGus​ - that fixed it!

Many thanks,

Pat

0 Kudos