VMware Communities
belfio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resuming Ubuntu 10.10 machine leave networking down

I'm running Fusion 3.1.2 and when i resume my Ubuntu 10.10 (desktop 32bit) machine from the suspended state i have the network functionality disabled; if i manually run the script /etc/vmware-tools/resume-vm-default the networking goes up again (also Fusion 3.1.1 was affected but it doesn't support Ubuntu 10.10).

The machine is updated from 10.04 but i have the same behavior on a fresh install of 10.10; Vmware tools are those shipped with Fusion 3.1.2.

Anyone else noticed this problem? Fixes?

Thank You

0 Kudos
18 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I had the same issue however uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Tools seems to have resolved the issue.

belfio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not worked for me.

I've also tried to remove all tools related files before reinstalling but the issue remain.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't seen this problem in 3.1.2 yet, but to resolve re-run: sudo /etc/vmware/resume-vm-default and that reconnects the NIC without rebooting.

See

0 Kudos
belfio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I already use this workaround but is very annoying...

0 Kudos
belfio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a way to debug the "resume-vm-default" script and why it doesn't run (or run unsuccesfully) on resume?

0 Kudos
Eriks
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, I noticed this symptom immediately after I first installed my first Ubuntu 10.10 guest.  After some fiddling around I realized that I hadn't completed the installation of VMware tools.  Now that that is done, I can suspend/resume the Ubuntu guest at will and networking resumes normal operation as expected.

Host is Fusion 3.1.2 on MacOS 10.6.5 on MacBookPro5,5.  Guest network config is setup to use NAT.

0 Kudos
belfio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM tools installation seem completed (the script vmware-config-tools.pl complete successfully)... how can i verify it?

0 Kudos
belfio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

which version of VM tools you have?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You can run /usr/bin/vmware-toolbox-cmd -v to see the version installed, e.g. mine is 8.4.5.10855 (build-332101)

0 Kudos
belfio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have this version too (8.4.5.10855 (build-332101)); i
I've also try to use the openVM tools shipped with Ubuntu 10.10 but i have the same behavior.
I also changed the ethernet type to e1000 (in the vmx file) but the problem remains.
0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I would try adding/toggling ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable to "FALSE" in your VM's .vmx settings.

0 Kudos
belfio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Don't work...

Disabling the suspend script execution in vmware-toolbox script section the problem disappear (no script run... Smiley Happy ); i'm trying to reinstall vmtools to see if this settings is kept after an update/reinstall.

PS: i've also installed the vmtools shipped with latest Workstation (maybe 7.1.3) and give the same problem; on my windows laptop works fine so is not vmtools version related.

I'll try on another Mac.

Thank You!

0 Kudos
HansLuijten
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running into the same problem (MacOS v10.6.6, Fusion Version 3.1.2 (332101), VMWare tools 8.4.5 build-332101) here.

Did anyone make any progress in resolving this?

0 Kudos
mihaval
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. Just upgraded to Fusion 3.1.2, upgraded tools, restarted Ubuntu 10.10 and the the network is dead after resume.

Running the script resume-vm-default works though. How could this script be run in an automatic fashion after resume?

Regards,

Miha.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Running the script resume-vm-default works though. How could this script be run in an automatic fashion after resume?

The problem is that the mechanism that is supposed to be running that very script in the first place is not so this issue is with VMware Fusion and VMware Tools and is something that VMware is going to need to address as a bug fix.

FWIW I have the same issue with Ubuntu 10.10 as well however I normally do not suspend my Virtual Machines so I can live with it for now.

0 Kudos
mihaval
Contributor
Contributor

In that case, let's hope that they fix it soon. Maybe I'll create a bug report if no one has done it already.

0 Kudos
mihaval
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I'll create a bug report if no one has done it already.

I've found KB article related to this issue:

http://goo.gl/UqCZG

This doesn't solve my issue though, so I've created technical request. I'll update this post when I get feedback.

0 Kudos
mihaval
Contributor
Contributor

And this is what support has to say:

At this point Ubuntu 10.10 is not a supported guest operating system for Fusion 3.1.2.  You may experience some quirks when running it until the next update of Fusion is released that adds support for Ubuntu 10.10.  10.04 is definitely supported though.

0 Kudos