VMware Communities
cjtinkle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Restoring Virtual State? And Snapshot location

I don't think I understand this function. If I am running Windows and choose "Suspend" and then "Restore", it takes forever to load back up, I mean 5 minutes? However if I just shut windows down normally, and close the virtual machine, next time I want to use it and restart it, it only take a couple of seconds. What is the purpose of the Suspend?

My 2nd question is, where is the saved Snapshot stored? I'd like to make a duplicate copy of it.

Thanks!

CJ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think I understand this function. If I am running Windows and choose "Suspend" and then "Restore", it takes forever to load back up, I mean 5 minutes? However if I just shut windows down normally, and close the virtual machine, next time I want to use it and restart it, it only take a couple of seconds. What is the purpose of the Suspend?

Under ideal conditions Suspending a Virtual Machine is supposed to enable one to quickly stop what one is doing and be able come back to it later without loosing a step so to speak and this process ideally is supposed to be faster then closing applications and shutting down the OS in the Virtual Machine and then startup the Virtual Machine and boot the OS and reloading applications to continue working. However as you (and others including myself) have experienced this is not always the case. Bottom line if you're going to use the Suspend feature make sure that anything you're working on is saved to disk and not just in the open application before Suspending as at some point one may have reset the Virtual Machine to recover from a failed restore of a suspended state. Also for the very issue you described as a general rule if only for myself I rarely use the Suspend feature as I have found it to be buggy and problematic just like the VMware Shared Folders feature as well.

My 2nd question is, where is the saved Snapshot stored? I'd like to make a duplicate copy of it.

Snapshots are stored in the target Virtual Machine Bundle Package and making a copy of the Snapshot Virtual Hard Drive is of no use by itself per-se because at the present time in Fusion it is dependent on the unmodified Base Virtual Hard Drive to function properly. In other words if one is going to backup anything then one should backup the complete Virtual Machine Bundle Package and not individual files within the Virtual Machine Bundle Package.

The aforementioned statement is meant to be a General Best Practice Guideline however obviously if one is going to manually edit the Virtual Machine .vmx configuration file its prudent to make a backup of that file individually prior to modifying it and that by itself does not necessarily necessitate backing up the complete Virtual Machine Bundle Package just to edit the .vmx configuration file.

As a side note one should also on a regular basis be backing up the User Data from within the Virtual Machine to a location outside of the Virtual Machine and off of the Host System and should also have a Known Good Working Copy of the Virtual Machine archived in some manner off of the Host System in order to recover from any issue whether brought about by something unforeseen or just plain old fashion End User Error!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Under ideal conditions Suspending a Virtual Machine is supposed to enable one to quickly stop what one is doing and be able come back to it later without loosing a step so to speak and this process ideally is supposed to be faster then closing applications and shutting down the OS in the Virtual Machine and then startup the Virtual Machine and boot the OS and reloading applications to continue working. However as you (and others including myself) have experienced this is not always the case. Bottom line if you're going to use the Suspend feature make sure that anything you're working on is saved to disk and not just in the open application before Suspending as at some point one may have reset the Virtual Machine to recover from a failed restore of a suspended state. Also for the very issue you described as a general rule if only for myself I rarely use the Suspend feature as I have found it to be buggy and problematic just like the VMware Shared Folders feature as well.

Snapshots are stored in the target Virtual Machine Bundle Package and making a copy of the Snapshot Virtual Hard Drive is of no use by itself per-se because at the present time in Fusion it is dependent on the unmodified Base Virtual Hard Drive to function properly. In other words if one is going to backup anything then one should backup the complete Virtual Machine Bundle Package and not individual files within the Virtual Machine Bundle Package.

The aforementioned statement is meant to be a General Best Practice Guideline however obviously if one is going to manually edit the Virtual Machine .vmx configuration file its prudent to make a backup of that file individually prior to modifying it and that by itself does not necessarily necessitate backing up the complete Virtual Machine Bundle Package just to edit the .vmx configuration file.

As a side note one should also on a regular basis be backing up the User Data from within the Virtual Machine to a location outside of the Virtual Machine and off of the Host System and should also have a Known Good Working Copy of the Virtual Machine archived in some manner off of the Host System in order to recover from any issue whether brought about by something unforeseen or just plain old fashion End User Error!

0 Kudos
cjtinkle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again Woodyz Smiley Happy you're most helpful!

I write all my files from the VM to my external hard drive, so I think I'm covered there, but where might I find instructions on archiving a good working copy of the VM onto my external drive? All I've done is to take a snapshot when I had everything the way I wanted it.

CJ

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using a Snapshot is a very nice feature and we're looking forward to hopefully being able to controlling multiple snapshots like in VMware's Workstation product however do not confuse using the Snapshot feature as a Backup Method in reference to the complete Virtual Machine Bundle Package.

As an example and by default normal file based Fusion Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP SP2.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP SP2"

With the Virtual Machine shutdown, not suspended, from within the OS (e.g. Windows - Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off) and Fusion closed one can just copy the Windows XP SP2 Virtual Machine Bundle Package to an external drive as an example. One can also make an archive file of it by ctrl-click the Windows XP SP2 and select Compress (or Archive in Tiger).

I also generate SHA1 Sums of the Archive and test restore them as well to verify the validity of the backup method.

0 Kudos
cjtinkle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know, I'll feel much better with a backup!

CJ

0 Kudos
Neeznoodle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woodyz,

I am in the process of preparing my Mac for a reformat (I may be using the wrong terminology, as I come from a Windows background). I want to backup my VMware Fusion, so I can easily restore it without having to reinstall everything within my Windows environment.

If this is possible, is what you explained here sufficient? All I need to do is copy the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP SP2.vmwarevm" to an external location?

And, if that is all I need to do, what will I need to do to restore this copy after my Mac is reformatted? I was able to find the .vmwarevm file, but it is kept in a folder that is hidden. I have no idea how I would copy it back to this location. How do I restore it there, if I can't see the place it needs to go?

Kindly provide me with step-by-step instructions, as I am only about six months into having a Mac. I can do/find stuff in Windows no problem, but I am still learning my way around the Mac.

Thank you,

Rochelle

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Rochelle, it was nice talking with you and being able to show you via TeamViewer what you have to/need to do to accomplish the tasks at hand. Let me know how it all goes... Woody

0 Kudos
Neeznoodle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woody,

Thank you so much for your time. My apologies for the quick goodbye - it was a call I needed to take. I'm ready to do my reformat, and I now feel confident that all will go well.

Sincerely,

Rochelle

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your time.

Your welcome! Smiley Happy

My apologies for the quick goodbye - it was a call I needed to take.

No problem, totaly understand and don't give it a second thought.

I'm ready to do my reformat, and I now feel confident that all will go well.

Yes you looked like you have all the backups of everything in order and are good to go... just make sure you reinstall OS X to the right disk. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Neeznoodle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Re: just make sure you reinstall OS X to the right disk.

Yep, been there, done that! Fortunately, when I did that, all I did was erase a disk that had backup images of the hard drive. Nothing important such as photos. Lesson learned!

All went well, except for one thing. I can't figure out how to get the email properly restored. What I did was, after the reformat, copied the 'username > Library > Mail' folders and files from my SuperDuper! backup and pasted it in the exact same location on my Mac OS X drive. Picture 1.png is how it looks after I do this.

The only mailboxes that came out ok are the ones I had under 'Read Mail' (a folder I created for organizing my read mail). Picture 2.png shows how that looks.

Any thoughts on how I can make this right again? I'm open to all advice, including starting again, as my mail is pretty important.

Thank you,

Rochelle

0 Kudos
Neeznoodle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just happened to think of something. I may very well have mucked up my email inboxes prior to my reformat. I was testing certain aspects of backing up and restoring programs, and I may have caused my Inbox to look similar (though not exactly) like Picture 1.png. That may be what was saved to the SuperDuper! backup.

If so, is there a way to make sense of the mess I made?

Rochelle

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check your Private Messages

0 Kudos
Neeznoodle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Never mind, all is well again. It just took me a while to think this through, but I figured it out. I DID muck things up in my SuperDuper! backup, but it wasn't too bad and I was able to sort it out and put all my mailboxes back together.

Thank you, again, for all your help.

Rochelle

0 Kudos