VMware Communities
Iconoclast
Contributor
Contributor

Restore after new HD

I had WinXP Pro as B.C. partition on my Mac & later bought & installed VMware Fusion & was able to create a VM from that BC partition. All worked well.

I just had a HD failure & had to replace HD & restore my Mac. I would like to restore both my B.C. and VM. installation of Win XP. I don’t want to reinstall Windows from scratch into Boot Camp & then create a VM again.

What is the best way to do this? I liked having only one Windows installation that I could run either from B.C. or as a VM.

I started by attempting to restore my clone for Win XP into a newly created B.C. partition

(Same size, 31 GB as my old one) --it didn’t work & I will trouble shoot with Winclone for that issue.

I do have my saved “VMware-Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm” folder rescued from Time Machine on my new Mac HD so I assume this means I have saved my VM?

Inside the folder is an Applications folder along with numbered Bootcamp partition.vmdk files from s001 through s233 plus a few other files.

If I didn’t have or want to restore my B.C. installation --I assume the procedure would be to reinstall my Fusion software from disc & update again to the latest version (2.0.5 or 2.0.6 beta since I now run OS X 10.6.1) & next restore my saved VM. By just clicking on it? Or by using the menus in the reinstalled VMware Fusion? The “Getting Started Guide” didn’t have a section on restore unless I missed it.

If I just restore my VM now & then later am able to restore my B.C. installation via Winclone -- will they automatically be the same Windows installation? I created the VM from B.C. originally. Or will any changes I make to files on the VM somehow make this a stand alone VM & a later restored (earlier version) of Windows on B.C. will always be different? Or am I completely wrong & since I made my VM a B.C. VM am I REQUIRED to 1st restore the B.C. Windows installation & failing that will I be unable to run the VM?

(Note: I may actually NOT be successful in restoring the Windows installation on B.C. from the clone since I cloned it to my own Mac HD rather than an external separate HD & then Time Machine made many backups. I have been using the Time machine external HD as the source to try to restore this Winclone backup to my B.C. partition)

In future I will have a separate bootable Winclone backup on a separate HD.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Iconoclast
Contributor
Contributor

Anybody?

Surely many users use virtual machines AND BootCamp. Some must have done the exact restoration I hope to do. I doubt I’m the 1st.

So far no help/reply from Winclone forum re restoring my Winclone BootCamp installation.

I did reinstall VMWare Fusion 1 & updated to 2.0.6 beta but, have not yet attempted to open my saved VM. I am tempted to try it & if later I am able to restore my B.C. installation -just see what happens. Maybe the two will “synch?”

I am assuming that I cannot make a Boot Camp installation FROM a VM. So I cannot see if my VM installation works & if so, somehow use THAT to install to B.C. to get back to having both a B.C. & a VM version of a single Windows installation.

0 Kudos